Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.93600°N / 76.617°W
Additional Information Elevation: 962 ft / 293 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Blue Hill is exactly as its' name states, merely a hill. Even in PA's standards it is simply a smaller hill amongst hills. Its' modest height does not represent the beautiful features of this mountain which include views and cliffs.

Blue Hill rests within Shikellamy State Park in Union County near Danville, Sunbury and Selinsgrove. The prominent feature of this mountain/hill is its' eastern face. The hill drops away to steep cliffs and for nearly 400 feet, the mountainside is vertical on its' way down into the Susquehanna River. The mountain is known for its' overlook (Shikellamy Overlook) as there is a road to the top for park visitors to enjoy the view.

Autumn would be the most popular time of year to head up to the summit of Blue Hill because of the changing colors of the leaves as they turn for winter. The views from the top are beautiful all year round though, as many important geographic features are within sight. From the top you can see the split of the Susquehanna River where it goes from its' east and west branches to join and create a mighty waterway. Views extend south to Sunbury and east to Danville. The route up this mountain is well worth it for the view alone and though this hill is not the rockies, it is a wonderful place to experienc PA's rolling mountain lands. Also, if you're looking for a city view, it has one of the best.
Technical climbing information is welcomed if there is any!
Blue Hill photo_id=97274

Getting There


There are two ways of getting to this mountain.
From the south:
Follow route 147 north through Sunbury, PA and cross the river on its' only bridge at this point. Once you reach the otherside follow the exit to your right for Danville. You'll be able to see the cliffs from the road. Continue along the river until you see the sign for the park. To climb via the road park at the bottom in the pull-off area.
From the North:
Follow route 15 south from Lewisburg, Pa until you reach a stop light for the bridge to Sunbury. Turn left at the stoplight and continue along the river where you'll be able to see the cliffs. Continue along the river until you see the sign for the park. To climb via the road park at the bottom in the pull-off area.
From Harrisburg:
Get onto route 11/15 on the west side of the river and head north. You'll travel nearly sixty miles. When you reach the bridge outside of Selinsgrove, don't exit, continue to the stop lights on the other side. From here turn right for Danville and continue until you see the sign for the park.

Red Tape


There are no permits required. All Pennsylvania State Park conservation rules apply. No littering and pick up what you take in. Basically follow the "Leave No Trace" program and you'll be fine. To hike up the road park at the bottom near the sign in the pull-off area.

When To Climb


This mountain is climbable in all times of the year. Fall would be the best time to hike though because of the changing leaves and scenery.

Camping


There is no camping in Shikellamy State Park.

Mountain Conditions


For current weather conditions, click on the link below!
weather.com

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Central MountainsMountains & Rocks