Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.11564°N / 1.07025°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4150 ft / 1265 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Pic de Behorlegi, Harritxarteko Tuturru in Euskarraz, is a nice limestone “tooth”, located in the Massif des Arbailles. Despite its low altitude, this massif is one of the most unknown and inhospitable of all the Pyrénées. Limestone peaks and crevasses, forests, lack of drinkable water…explain the difficulties for men to settle there. The Arbailles are a big karst, full of caves and chasms ( some of them more then 300m deep ). Water soaks through the limestone, giving birth to the river Bidouze. An interesting walk leads to its stream, and 50m above the caves, to the flat, 5km long “dead” valley, from where the water infiltrates. ( from Saint Jean le Vieux, go towards Saint Just Ibarre. Follow the road leading to the " Sources de la Bidouze " parking area; a trail along the river leads to the caves, and further up to steel ladders to get to the dead valley ). Some peaks dominate the area, the most famous of them being the Pic de Behorlegi ( even if it is not the highest mountain of the Arbailles, outgrown by Hauskoa, a balloon-shaped hill, 10 feet higher ). From the west, its sharp shape is easily recognizable. Its situation makes the Pic de Behorlegi one of the best spots to picture the Basque Mountains; enjoy it on a clear winter or spring day ( lots of hunters in Falls, the mountain gets a bit noisy and overcrowded ).

Getting There

From St Jean Pied de Port ( Donibane Garazi in Euskarraz, the Basque language ), drive toward Irati skiing station; go left to Mendive, then to Behorlegi ( 14 km from St Jean Pied de Port ). Trailhead: In the small village of Behorlegi, drive eastward a little road going down to the Etxeberriborda Farm, at the base of the peak ( 1,230ft ~ 375m ).

Red Tape

No permit, no fee; anyway, don't park or camp anywhere, you may disturb farming activities.

When To Climb

All year round. The best time is winter, to take advantage of the panoramic view upon the snow-covered basque mountains.

Camping

Camping is allowed, no huts.

Mountain Conditions

Weather forecast: ( 00 33 ) 08 92 68 02 64

Miscellaneous Info

Map : IGN 1445 Ouest, 1446 Ouest, 1446 Est

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
eza

eza - Dec 22, 2005 9:33 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hi, Rafa.
How about making a mixed classification, with the IGN Rando maps but using some subgroups with the names of the french valleys? I mean: an idea could be
-Pirineos: Pays Basque
-Pirineos: Bearn
-Pirineos: Gave d'Aspe and Gave d'Ossau
-Pirineos: Bigorre
Those four groups would be OK for a start, and additional ones might be considered as new summits enter SP from the french side of the Pyrenees

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Dec 16, 2005 2:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I had created some subgropus in pirineos, only the spanish side.
We're based in the normal maps with great areas like Ordesa, Benasque, Bidasoa-Baztán,... what's your opinion about the areas for the french mountains?
I think the best option is the maps of IGN Rando:
-Pirineos:Pays Basque Est
-Pirineos: Bearn
-Pirineos: Bigorre
... no more mountains in SP for the moment in others areas.

In this case Beorlegi is in PB Est (this include Baretous, Soule and Basse Navarre)
According with your opinion I'll write the subgroup in message board.

eza

eza - Dec 22, 2005 9:33 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hi, Rafa.
How about making a mixed classification, with the IGN Rando maps but using some subgroups with the names of the french valleys? I mean: an idea could be
-Pirineos: Pays Basque
-Pirineos: Bearn
-Pirineos: Gave d'Aspe and Gave d'Ossau
-Pirineos: Bigorre
Those four groups would be OK for a start, and additional ones might be considered as new summits enter SP from the french side of the Pyrenees

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.