Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.63940°N / 11.06340°E
Additional Information Elevation: 5196 ft / 1584 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hörnle from the trail to...Hörnle
Hörnle (bavarian dialect for "little horn") is a mountain that consists of three summits, which are connected by the european long distance path E4:
  • Vorderes Hörnle (1484m / 4869ft)
    The west summit with Hörnlehut (1390m / 4560ft) close to it (about 10min walking).
  • Mittleres Hörnle (1496m / 4908ft)
    Great views towards north from this summit in the middle of the two others.
  • Hinteres Hörnle (1548m / 5079ft)
    The highest summit of Hörnle offers the best views in every direction.

    Despite of its height the views from Hörnle are great, because the woods on its slopes disappear just a few metres below the summit. If you choose one of the routes starting in or near Unterammergau (859m / 2818ft) you' ll have great views during your ascent (especially on trail 18D).

    Lots of pros for this mountain, but this results in a high popularity and very crowdy conditions on sunny days (doesn' t matter if its summer or winter).

    Panorama

    Ammergauer Alps PanoramaPanorama during the ascent to Mittleres Hörnle

    Maps and routes overview

    Maps:
  • 1:50000
  • A good overview map of the area is KOMPASS #179 - Pfaffenwinkel-Schongauer Land.
  • 1:35000
  • KOMPASS #0179 Bad Kohlgrub is a more detailed map of the area around Hörnle.

    Routes:

  • Via Sonneneck (from Bad Kohlgrub)
    Starting at the parking lot of the Hörnlebahn trail #18A leads up to Sonneneck (1074m / 3523ft) and up to Vorderes Hörnle (1484m / 4869ft)
  • Maximiliansweg (European long distance path E4)
    Starting at the parking lot near Kappel (859m / 2818ft) trail #18C or E4 leads up to Hörnlehut (1390m / 4560ft). This trail is closed during the winter months.
  • Ski route
    Trailhead is the parking lot near Kappl again. Following E4 until trail #18D seperates from it (E4 turns left and #18D continues straight ahead). The trail leads up the great slope (here is the only possibility of avalanches) with beautiful views to the south. The trail ends at the summit of Mittleres Hörnle.
  • Hörnle traverse
    Trailhead is Kappl again. Follow E4 towards Unterammergau and before reaching the town trail #40 turns left. Follow this trail and watch out for trail #19 or #19C which leads up to Hinteres Hörnle. From there follow trail #19 or E4 to Hörnlehut (1390m / 4560ft) and descent trail #18C to get back to the trailhead.

    Getting There

    There are several trails leading to the summit of Hörnle. Most of them start in Bad Kohlgrub (845m / 2772ft) and Unterammergau (859m / 2818ft).

    By car:
    Both cities are connected via road B23, which leads via Oberammergau to Oberau. From Oberau you have connection to the highway from Munich to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and austria.

    By train:
    Both cities have train stations. For more information visit the homepage of the Deutsche Bahn, which offers an online database, where you can find the perfect train connection.

    Red Tape

    There are no permits, fees or seasonal closures.
    Parking at Kappel (859m / 2818ft) is not free but 2 Euros per day is not expensive. I don' t know if parking is free in Bad Kohlgrub, but I think the parking lot of Hörnlebahn is free.

    When To Climb

    Hörnle is climbed all the year. Both in summer and winter the Hörnlebahn carries a lot of people up to the Hörnlehut (1390m / 4560ft).
    In summer this mountains offers no problems, because it is an easy hike and hiking gear is sufficient. During the winter months snowshoes or skies are an excellent option and the risk of avalanches is not very high (depending on the route!). Summiting during winter is possible with hiking gear as well (I have done it and a lot of people said something like "ouuuh, this must be exhausting...". And I have to say that it was...).

    Camping

    I think camping is not allowed on the mountain, but you can stay at Hörnlehut (1390m / 4560ft).
    Bad Kohlgrub or Unterammergau offer a lot of accomodation possibilities. For more information visit the homepage of Bad Kohlgrub or Unterammergau.

    Mountain Conditions

    Webcams:
  • Current webcam shot from Hörnle down to Bad KohlgrubHörnle webcam
    Webcam near Hörnlehut (1390m / 4560ft), with view direction towards Bad Kohlgrub (north).

    Weather:

  • www.wetter.com (Unterammergau) - Detailed weather forecast of Unterammergau on the south slopes of Hörnle.
  • www.wetter.com (Bad Kohlgrub) - Detailed weather forecast of Bad Kohlgrub on the north slopes of Hörnle.

    Additional links:

  • Avalanche situation - Current snow and avalanche conditions of the bavarian alps (unfortunately this page is in german).




    Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.