Southern Route (Classic Approach)

Southern Route (Classic Approach)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.43000°N / 13.73000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Scenes from the route



Route Description


Southern route 2h

From the very top of Vrsic pass table will direct you towards Mala Mojstrovka. Quite steeply path ascends through the dwarf pine colonies and rare larch trees. Soon you are traversing steep scree slopes going all the time up. Direction is steep scree gully between the cliffs of southern ridge. This is tough section, path is going straight up, and the gradient of the gully is around 50 degree, very slippery. When you reach the ridge, called Grebenec, beautiful view towards Trenta valley and the mountains around it opens up.

Path turns right and continues to ascent steeply over the panoramic ridge. This is long section over the rock and scree with beautiful views all the way to the summit. Terrain is open, rocky or scree. Path reaches the summit of Mala Mojstrovka.

Velika Mojstrovka does not have marked path but it is nicer goal with better view, especially on Jalovec (2645m), which is not visible from Mala Mojstrovka. From the summit you descent on pass between both peaks and climb Velika Mojstrovka by using a scree shelf that goes to the left. Than you turn right, straight to the summit. This is very steep slippery section with mixed rock and scree, quite exposed, so be careful.

Essential Gear


When there is snow crampons and ice axe. If you ski, skies :-) In summer normal hiking gear.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.