Hunt Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.90440°N / 68.9228°W
Additional Information Route Type: A 4,000-foot scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Scrambling
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

You take the Perimeter Road from the Togue Pond Entrance (closest to Millinocket) to Katahdin Stream Campground and park there. Signs identify the Hunt Trail, which is part of the 2,150 mile Appalachian Trail

 

Route Description

The first 1.1 miles of the Hunt Trail are quite easy, walking up beside Katahdin Stream to the junction with the Owl Trail. Cross the stream on a bridge and arrive at beautiful Katahdin Stream Falls. Beyond, the climb gradually grows steeper and more demanding. After about another mile, it is a clear scramble through balsam fir and over rocks. Last water is at "O-Joy Brook" before the trail reaches treeline. The Boulders, about three miles from the trailhead are a difficult scramble amongst huge rocks and iron rungs have been placed on the trail in places. The crest of Hunt Spur is reached at a small knob before the final ascent to the plateau-like Tableland. The climb up the arete can be exposed at times but it is not as narrow as the Knife Edge is. Once on top of the Tableland you reach Thoreau Spring at 4.2 miles where the Abol Trail comes in from the right - a shorter, but much steeper way up. The Baxter Peak Spur Trail diverges to the left here also. It is a comparatively easy climb for the last mile up to 5,267 foot Baxter Peak at 5.2 miles and usually 5-6 hours from the trailhead.

Essential Gear

You need a good pair of boots and warm clothing in case of bad weather (which can come frequently and quickly) while climbing Katahdin in the normal season. Winter requires a complete set of climbing hardware (ice axe and crampons).

 

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
nartreb

nartreb - Oct 6, 2004 8:51 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

...is the view westwards from up near the Gateway

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KatahdinRoutes