Upper Setting/Castle Lake

Upper Setting/Castle Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.66920°N / 111.1292°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike and easy scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This trailhead is a little tricky to find. The route begins from the Upper Setting Road. This road is posted with a sign, and is located on the north side of the highway, 8.7 miles east of Kamas. The lower half of this un-paved road is suitable for passenger cars, but the upper half is suitable only to high clearance vehicles. This is the easiest way to find the trailhead: Follow the main road to it's end. There are many side tracks branching from the main road. Turn around at the end of the road, backtrack, and take the second 4wd track that branches from the north (right when backtracking) side of the main road. Drive (or walk) north along this track and take a left at a junction. This track heads west a short distance. Park at the vehicle barrier trench located next to a pond.

Castle Lake/Upper Setting and...Blue = Castle Lake Route.



Route Description

From the trailhead, follow the old 4wd track west to a junction with another track heading north. This junction is just before a stream crossing to the west. Head west (left) across the small stream to another junction. The branch to the west (left) end shortly; take the branch to the north (right). This branch of the track climbs north and then southwest and will take you to beautiful Castle Lake.

From the lake climb cross-country to the west to the ridge north of Castle Peak. From the ridge top head south along the ridge to the summit. Enjoy the surperb view of the Wasatch Range, The Western Uintas, and Castle Lake from the summit! The hike takes only a few hours.

Castle Peak as viewed from...Castle Peak as viewed from the east and Castle Lake. August 1996.

Essential Gear

Take all the normal hiking gear for a summer trip. Snowshoes or skiis are required in winter, and an ice axe can come in handy as well. Fishing enthusiast should bring a pole for Castle Lake!



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.