West Spur

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.82350°N / 110.3396°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike ~ With a Little Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start the hike at the Henry's Fork trailhead.

Route Description


The trailhead elevation is approximately 9440’ with a summit elevation of 13,442. The total trail (contour slope) is 9.8± one way.
The trail heads in a Southerly direction on a gradual rise. After about 2.9± miles and 430’ of elevation gain you will intersect with the Alligator lake trail that heads off to the right. Continue straight for another 2.4± miles and about 455’ of elevation gain you will come across a sign for the Elkhorn stream crossing to the left or the stream fording crossing straight. At this point turn left or East and cross via a log bridge (not a lot of fun with ice on it). After crossing continue heading in a Southerly direction for another 1.2 miles and another 340’ of elevation gain. For the last 1.2 miles you would be out of the forest for a good portion of the hike. While about 0.6 miles short of Dollar Lake I looked for a good path of least resistance leading over to the edge of the forested area (East). This got me on higher ground and out of the marshy wet area. I followed the tree line around for about 0.8 miles and 400’ of elevation gain to a few streams running out of the bowl area. I then crossed the streams and started turning more East to get on the Easterly side of the ridge. Follow the ridge, which starts at about 11,200’ and runs to about 12,100’ in about 0.9 miles in a South direction. From here start turning East and Northeasterly and start blazing your own path through the rocks to the peak, which is another 1.6 miles and about 1,340’ of elevation gain.

Lengths and elevations were derived from USGS DEM models in SPCS Utah North Zone Datum NAD83, so they might not agree exactly with other trail reports.

Essential Gear


During the summer months no technical gear is required.
For Winter Crampons\snowshoes\skis would be useful

Trail Condition


You share this trail with the horse's from trailhead to at least the Elkhorn crossing. The trail is rough (rocky) for most of this portion.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.