Hourglass Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.38170°N / 118.7783°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Start from Mosquito Flat trailhead, follow trail toward Morgan Pass for about 4 miles. After passing Long Lake and before descending to Gem Lakes, ascend the slabs on the right to the top of ridge, then follow it southward until you see Treasure Lakes on the other side of the ridge. Descend the ridge to reach the four lakes.

Route Description

Ascend the ridge between the two southern Treasure Lakes over steep talus southward. This leads to the bowl directly below the Hourglass Couloir. The Hourglass is usually covered with snow, or ice in late season. The couloir is about 1000 feet high and steepens to about 40 degrees. In early season this is a straight-forward climb, but in late summer you either have to climb ice, or choose the small chute to the right of the Hourglass, which is steeper and contains much loose rock. In late summer the parts of Hourglass not covered by ice contain very loose scree. Once above the couloir, it is an easy ascent over moderate angle slabs for another 1000 feet.

Essential Gear

Ice axe is required in any season. Crampons may be needed depending on snow/ice conditions.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

yocal420 - Nov 15, 2005 1:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

The couloir is an easy fun ski back to the lake. Many other lines in the area! Excellent spring ski spot!!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.