Summit Block (East Turret)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.36540°N / 120.349°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

There are many ways to approach the summit. The easiest is from Castle Pass, following the arcing ridgeline, staying on the left (northwest) side where difficulties are encountered. The summit can also be approached from along the East Ridge or some of the chutes on the south or north sides. The eastern most turret is the high point.

Route Description

If coming from the west turret, climb down and along the ridge on the south side, bypassing the middle and east turrets. Climb back up to the east side of the east turret for the easiest route. It is about 30 feet of near-vertical class 3. The holds are large, plentiful, and all the loose rock has been detached eons ago.

A shorter, but more impressive class 4 route is found on the west side (really more like the southwest side). This is about 15 of vertical rock. The holds are good, but not as obvious as the east side. There are two rappel bolts on top used to descend via this route, but it is a bit of overkill.

In winter, both routes are often snow and ice free, but of course extra caution should be used if this is not the case.

Essential Gear

None needed. Even tennis shoes should be fine.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.