Savolaire

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.25590°N / 6.71950°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike and scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start point is Prétairié

In the town Abondance, cross the river Dranse, cross the market place, turn right and follow the little road direction the cable car of Essert. At Plan de Charmy, turn to the right and follow the water stream "Ruisseau de l'Edian". Park at the end of the road at Prétairié.

Route Description


From Prétairié follow the trail to "Les Serranant". 200 meters after the chalets don't turn left direction Tavaneuse lake but continue straight forward under the Pic de la Corne. You can admire the proud rock bulk of the Mont Brion and the Roc d'Enfer (Hell's rock) before. Mont Brion is a paradise for (very) strong climbers.
Follow the comb of Savolaire under the escarpments of the Mont Brion and climb very steep on the Savolaire crossing (1930 m).

From here I advice the make a detour on the grassy rump on your right, you can reach with a little path. From the edge, you can see the Lake of Damoz des Moulins. You can also climb easily on the summit above, the Savolaire Point (1987 m) : nice plunging view.

Back at the collar,turn left and follow the airy crest of the Lanchettes. After an easy climb (II) you reach the summit of the Roc (this climb can be avoided if you conturn the summit rocks by the left).

To get back at Prétairié, use the normal route over Tavaneuse collar and Lake ! (see routes)

Essential Gear


At the beginning of the season, if the Savolaire passage is snow-covered, crampons can be useful.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.