west side route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.10310°N / 118.7191°W
Additional Information Route Type: scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


two day hike up from Florence Lake to Mt Godddard.

Route Description


From Martha Lake head up to the western face of Mt. Goddard. Make an easy scramble to the first low saddle on the base of the west side. Then scramble from rocky outcropping to rocky outcropping across the scree/talus climbing up and drifting north along the face. I found the vertical going easy as long as i stuck to this method. Eventually you will make your way up to the edge of a chute on the north west face, which you can easily walk/climb along to the head of the chute where you can easily connect with the southwest rigde/west chute route. I found the footing for the ascent better here ... i descended on the south/west side total time was about 4 hours.

Essential Gear


All i had was a pair of shorts, my boots, a shirt, my video camera, a cliff bar and about a litre of water.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

getlost - Aug 8, 2005 1:23 am - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Exactly 50 years ago two of us climbed Goddard from Martha Lake, working our way around to the north side. I will never forget the beauiful red and gold lichens on the dark rock. We then descended the S. side very quickly, by plunge-stepping down the fine talus slope.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.