Gold Hill via Gold Hill Pass

Gold Hill via Gold Hill Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.81000°N / 110.954°W
Additional Information Route Type: Cross-country hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The Gold Hill Road is the access road into this area. This road is suitable only to high clearence, low geared 2wd's or to 4wd's. The Gold Hill Road starts about one mile south of the Whitney Road turnoff and is about 42 miles from Kamas or 36 miles from Evanston. A sign marks the beginning of the road. Follow the sometimes rough road west, staying on the main road until Gold Hill Pass. If you have a car, it is shorter to walk to Gold Hill Pass from Whitney Reservior than to walk Gol Hill Road from the highway. See the Whitney Reservior route page for details.

Route Description

This is the easiest and shortest route to Gold Hill. Either drive to Gold Hill Pass from Highway 150, or walk from Whitney Reservior (see approach above). From Gold Hill Pass (9950 feet elevation), follow the rough and steep 4wd track east along the hillside. Follow the 4wd track until the ridge heading south to Gold Hill is reached. When you reach the ridge, climb on it and follow it to the summit of Gold Hill. There is no trail, but there are no major obstacles. You will also pass over a sub-peak at 10,370 feet elevation. There is no boulder-hopping on the route. Despite the fact that this is a hill, there are still excellent views of Whitney Reservior, High Uintas Wilderness Area, and the areas to the north from the summit. This route is about three miles round trip.


Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.