Smith and Morehouse Route

Smith and Morehouse Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.68460°N / 111.0297°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The trailhead is at the Ledge Fork Campground. From Oakley (State Route 32), turn east on the Weber Canyon Road. Follow this road east for about 12 miles to where the Smith and Morehouse Road turns south. Turn right (south) at this junction and follow this good gravel road past the Smith and Morehouse Reservior. The road ends at the Ledge Fork Campground and the trailhead.

Route Description

From the trailhead, the trail crosses Smith and Morehouse Creek on a good bridge shortly after beginning. The trail climbs gradually at first with a few short steep sections. After just over a mile the trail reaches an un-marked junction (don't worry if you miss it). Continue straight on the main trail. The main trail continues another 1.75 miles to a signed junction. Take the trail to the left. The trail climbs southeast for a mile to a rather confusing area. The main trail appears to head to the right while a secondary trail heads to the left accross a stream and into a marshy area. What appears to be the main trail actually heads up the hill to the south and fades away after a few hundred yards. Instead of heading right, follow the left branch accross the stream to a marshy area. The trail disappears in the marshy area, but it can be found after crossing the marshy area and reaching dry ground. The trail heads another two miles to a saddle and a pond between Cone Peak and Long Mountain.

From the pass, several routes to Cone Peak are possible, but the one described is the easiest. Follow the trail south and around the south side of Cone Peak. Your goal is the saddle to the SW to the peak. Once the saddle is visible from the trail, head cross-country and to the pass. From the saddle, scramble NE up the very steep ridge and to the summit of Cone Peak. There is someboulder-hopping and scrambling.

There is another alternative. From the pond north of the pass with a junction (see above), you can also head around the base of the peak and the north side and then around the west side of the peak to the saddle mentioned above that is SW of the summit.

The total round-trip distance is about 14.5 miles and is a very long day trip or a shorter two-day backpacking trip.

Click for full sized map:

Route Map


 Cone Peak  from the...Cone Peak from Smith and Morehouse Basin.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.