Upper Setting Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.67810°N / 111.0615°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The Upper Setting Road takes of north off Highway 150 8.7 miles east of Kamas. The lower section of this gravel road is good for passenger cars, but the upper half of the road is suitable only to high clearance vehicles. There are many side tracks, but follow the main track to its end.

Route Description

From the trailhead there are two options and trails to choose from. The upper trail is the one shown on all the maps, but the area has been logged and is heavily grazed by cattle. The lower trail is the more scenic one, and is more well-used despite the fact that it is not shown on the maps.

At the trailhead at the end of the Upper Setting Road is a roadblock. Follow the old road north from the "closed to motorized travel" sign. After following the old road for a short distance, there is a trail heading to the east (right). There is a signpost pointing the way to East Shingle Creek Lake and Erickson Basin. This trail heads east and passes a pond covered by lily pads. From here the trail curves around and heads north to a junction with the Shingle Creek Route. Go left and to the lake. The lake is in a beautiful meadow and forest setting. From the lake, take the trail east posted for Erickson Basin. The trail climbs gradually east for .75 mile to a minor pass. An abandoned trail shown on the topo map) heads north and drops into Erickson Basin from the pass, but continue east on the main trail. The main trail to Erickson Basin heads downhill to the east and reaches South Erickson Lake .5 miles from the pass. The lake is in a spectacular setting with surrounded by meadows and high peaks. There is a junction at the lake that is not shown on the topo maps. The Erickson Creek/Smith and Morehouse Creek Trail is the one that heads north (left). The trail to the right that heads east is the one you want. Continue on the lesser-used trail east to Big Elk Pass by following cairns the best you are able. Wall Peak is reached from Big Elk Pass via a steep boulder-hop and scramble to the southwest and along the ridge southwest to the summit.

Round trip distance is 7.4 miles to Wall Peak.

Route MapClick for full size.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.