4) Val di Rhêmes Ski Route

4) Val di Rhêmes Ski Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.49750°N / 7.04440°E
Additional Information Route Type: alpine ski route
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: GAS
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Starting point is Rifugio Benevolo hut in Val de Rhemes. See main page how to get there.


Route Description

Leave the hut to the south and cross the near creek on a bridge. Heading right you climb the slopes of the valley on the west side in rising steepness until you can traverse to the left to gain a plain in front of the rockface the comes from Granta Parei.


Turn right and gain the slopes NE of this rockface over an exposed ramp. Very nice slopes lead to the gentle ridge east of Goletta lake.

Follow this ridge up to app. 2850 m where you can traverse to Goletta glacier.

Climb the gentle slopes of the glacier traversing beneath NW face of Granta Parei and head for Col di Goletta pass (3117 m).


Climb the east slopes up to the rocks where the east ridge starts. Leave ski there and climb the east ridge to the summit.


take descent / downhill on the same route

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice axe can be necessary for the east ridge. The first part to the east ridge is very steep. We installed a fixed rope there for descent. Harness and rope should anyway be with you when you do a glacier climb, even if the glacier is as gentle as it is Goletta glacier here.
Ski crampons are often necessary in spring
Orientation can be a problem if fog occurs on the even Goletta glacier. So bring along GPS device or a compass

General data

- Start altitude: 2285 m
- Summit altitude: 3337 m
- Prevailing expositions: E, N
- Type: ski tour GAS
Effort (ascent), 1050 m ascent, 3,5 h
avalanche danger rather high at the east slopes above the hut. Don't go there shortly after snowfall
best time March to May




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.