South Slopes from Berthoud Pass

South Slopes from Berthoud Pass

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.83800°N / 105.7133°W
Additional Information Route Type: Walk up/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up.
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start from the summit of Berthoud Pass.

Route Description


This hikes follows the Continental divide trail. Hike from Berthoud pass up the road that switchbacks its way up Colorado Mines Peak. Climb to within approximately two hundred feet of the summit. At this point north east along the Continental Divide towards the summit of Mt. Flora. Hike over this summit and down towards the long flat saddle between Flora and Eva. Hike over this saddle and climbs the mellow slopes towards the summit of Eva. At the summit of Eva there is an old radio/weather station that makes an ideal spot for lunch. Throughout the hike great views of mountains on all sides are a treat and this lunch spot is no exception. From the summit of Eva hike down towards the saddle between Eva and Parry peak. Hike up the steep south slopes of Parry to the summit. This hike is done very nicely as a shuttle hike between Berthoud Pass and Roger's Pass. This shuttle would take you over James Peak. Otherwise you could just hike back the way you came back to Berthoud Pass.

Essential Gear


Good boots, a sturdy pair of legs, and regular hiking gear are all that you will need. Be very weary of thunderstorms since you are very exposed the entire time. Be sure to start early in summer to avoid this.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.