South approach

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.07050°N / 13.39710°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble and hiking
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


For the south approach driving by car into Malta valley to the lake Speicher see and you park by Sporthotel Maltatal.

Route Description


From the Sporthotel you follow the marked route number 545 and you cross the whole south slopes of Kölnbreinspitz, Petenegg and Hafner. The view is amazing and the route is very nice. You walk through the forest, dwarf pine and later on the grassy slopes. Soon you reach the Kattowitzerhütte (2319m).

From the hut you continue over the route 547 to the SW ridge where from the NW comes the north approach on Hafner. On the SW ridge you follow the signposts for the marked route 548. The ascend is not hard, somewhere you have to climb a bit.

You descend by the same route.


Essential Gear


Good hiking shoes.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - May 27, 2006 1:47 pm - Voted 7/10

A few data

The starting point is at 1933m. Till Kattowitzer Huette, 2321m, you need some 1:30h (I guess not more, perhaps 2h, although there's quite a distance). From the hut towards the north over grassy slopes and rocky terrain, finally steep on the SW ridge. We reach it on the point 2768m (1:30h from the hut). By the ridge to the summit is one more hour, a few rocks to overcome at the end. Altogether 4:00-4:30h for the ascent, good 3h for a descent by the same route.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.