Via Malý Kežmarský štít

Via Malý Kežmarský štít

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.12050°N / 20.13200°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

The page was created anew in December 2023.

Overview

This route is one of the four scrambling routes to the summit of Kežmarský štít. It differs from the other routes mainly in that the difficulty of its crux is UIAA grade II / YDS class 4. Personally, I wouldn't like to downclimb it without being on belay. The route is also less frequented than the others, which run via Huncovské sedlo and which I would recommend for the descent.

Route Profile

Kežmarský via Malý Kežmarský

Rock difficulty (the crux only): UIAA grade II / YDS class 4 (easy 5?)

Approx. time of ascent: at least 2h

Net elevation gain: approx. 550m (from Skalnaté pleso over 800m, from Zelené pleso over 1,000m; from Tatranská Lomnica about 1,700m; from 'Biela voda' bus stop 1,640m)
 
Total elevation gain: not much more
 

Approx. approach time:

Tatranská Lomnica to Skalnaté pleso - 3h (by cable car 25min); Skalnaté pleso to Starting point marked in the 2nd photo - 1h

or

'Biela voda' bus stop to Zelené pleso Hut - 2.5h; Zelené pleso Hut to Starting point marked in the 2nd photo - 1.5h

 

Route Description

The starting point, or rather points, are located to the ENE of the summit on the red hiking trail between Skalnaté and Zelené tarns. If you are coming from Zelené pleso, you will leave the waymarked trail when you have ascended Sedlo pod Svišťovkou. For those coming from Skalnaté pleso the most convenient point seems to be the sharp bend in the trail about a hundred metres south of the saddle.

Veľká Svišťovka from WSW
Starting points

You can follow the crest of the ridge which runs northeast from Kežmarský štít and separates Huncovská kotlina from Dolina Zeleného plesa. If you do, there will be some scrambling along the way and also views of the uppermost parts of the valley of the Kežmarská Biela voda and the peaks surrounding it. The views will not be changing much though.

Malý Kežmarský & Kežmarská kopa from ENE
Looking into Dolina Zeleného plesa

If you want to save a little time, you can keep to the side of the ridge away from its crest. There are pieces of a faint path, which will make your hike quicker but you do not really need to care about them. Your first goal is to get, very slowly gaining elevation, to the slope of Kežmarská kopa (2233m), whose horizontal ridge seen from the east looks like the footrest of Malý Kežmarský štít. An ascent of Kežmarská kopa will give you some boost in elevation.

Look back from Kežmarská kopa

Having climbed Kežmarská kopa you find yourself near the crux of the route, where Malý Kežmarský štít rears up dramatically. You are separated from that place by a col named Nižná Kežmarská štrbina, where the ridge suddenly narrows.

Crux ahead

View from Nižná Kežmarská štrbina

At Nižná Kežmarská štrbina

After passing the col, in a few minutes you are at the base of a sort of dihedral. A few metres of scrambling upwards and you are at the crux of the route, which is a steep cracked slab about ten metres long, or rather the first one-third of the slab, where the cracks providing you with holds are rather narrow.

Crux from below
Crux from above

Above the crux there is just a bit of some easy scrambling, 

Huncovský štít & Huncovské sedlo from N
Above crux: looking south
Belianske Tatry from above crux
Above crux: looking north

then the rest of the ascent of Malý Kežmarský štít is a walk up the broad ridge of the mountain covered mostly with countless blocks of granite.

Look back from near summit of Malý Kežmarský

Views from the summit of Malý Kežmarský štít are similar to those from the summit of Kežmarský štít, except that the latter peak as well as Zelené pleso can be seen.

Malý Kežmarský summit view SW–WNW
Zelené pleso from Malý Kežmarský
Belianske Tatry from Malý Kežmarský

The last section of our route takes roughly twenty minutes. First you descend to Vyšná Kežmarská štrbina losing fifty metres of elevation, then you come across a fairly well-defined path running up on the left side of the crest.

Kežmarský from Malý Kežmarský
Finale

At the summit there are several metres of exposed YDS class 3 scramble. 

Kežmarský štít summit
The end
For views from the summit please see the parent page.
Kežmarský from N side of Huncovský
Descent route I'd recommend

Essential Gear

Good hiking boots or rather approach shoes. In winter conditions: a partner, crampons, ice-axes, rope.

Travers on the top of Kezmarsky stit (2556m)
Photo by Ivona

Other Information

Please see the parent page.

Kežmarský štít from E


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.