Sidewinder Rock Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Feb 4, 2023 2:16 pm Date Climbed: Jan 20, 2023

Skinny Pin- 60’-5.4  Sucess!

This route climbs the chimney just to the left of the classic Jumping Jack Crack. It is a worthy solo, despite not being recommended in the local guide, due to the fun exposure of stemming up to the summit of the tower that forms the west side of the chimney. Fixed rap on top of the tower.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Feb 4, 2023 2:15 pm Date Climbed: Jan 20, 2023

Jumping Jack Crack- 80’-5.11b**  Sucess!

MP.com has this old (1972) John Long route at 5.11b and the local guide has it at 5.11a. This is an excellent trad route at the grade mixing a variety of crack disciplines from a knee flaring squeeze to stemming to fingers to hands. The knees are secure, but require skill in the 5.10 range to ascend, facing out left. Then a cool turn around hanging on a solid hand to face right and stem to just reach slightly insecure fingers. The crux is making the full body move over the roof (physical) as you go from left hand fingers to a flared hand and then one more move to secure hands to the top and a fixed rap. Single from offset fingers to #5 with slings. Route receives all day sun.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Sidewinder Rock' main page