Viewing: 1-8 of 8
madeintahoe

madeintahoe - Feb 6, 2010 11:21 am - Voted 10/10

Thank you!

This is beautifully written!
My favorite...

"Muir, he muses in Early Days in the Range of Light, seemed incapable of finding fault, no matter how slight, with any aspect of the Sierra. “In theory I agree with him—it is the human being who inhabits the imperfect form and who should try to live up to the mountains"

SpiderSavage

SpiderSavage - Feb 7, 2010 2:19 pm - Voted 9/10

Great Concept

I look forward to reading this book. Walking in the footsteps of the early climbers is a great concept.

I often consider doing a similar project using only Native American accessories.

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Feb 8, 2010 9:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Manly men

"Shiver under the stars and storms without a tent. With the invention of DEET still decades away, mosquitoes will sing you to sleep. And you will come to know the Sierra like you have never known it before."

Been there. Done that. Sounds like a great idea until you're exhausted from lack of sleep from shivering all night and your eyes are swollen shut from mosquito bites. I'm not man enough to ever travel like that again, give me a warm sleeping bag, a pad to insulate me from the ground and DEET. Sorry!

John Duffield

John Duffield - Feb 9, 2010 9:00 pm - Voted 10/10

The Old Guys

It’s hard to know exactly what would happen if you gave Charles Michael or Jules Eichorn a modern rope and some climbing shoes,” he says. “My guess is they’d be leading 5.10, if not 5.11, in no time.”

For years, I've thought about that. I've seen lots of old photos of the old guys doing crazy things. Parties of people going up the Devils Tower. Put up a ladder. Grew up in a more physically demanding era. Deeper understanding of their own capabilities.

Marmaduke

Marmaduke - Feb 10, 2010 10:15 pm - Hasn't voted

GREAT

As I'm brand new to this site and haven't hiked any major peaks yet, I was just talking to my wife about this the other night though. Couldn't imagine what those guys had to indure but you sure put it all in perspective. Excellent writing!!!

Deltakyp

Deltakyp - Feb 22, 2010 1:58 pm - Voted 9/10

Well played Sir!

An intriguing tribute to the spirit of what brings us all here. Having spent many a night burrowed into a cozy tent in the Sierras myself, it is inspiring to walk the founding "bootsteps" of those who went before us... as they did: without modern conveniences. A noble effort and a motivating concept we should all consider.

Thanks for sharing a beautifully written trbute, will be reading the book shortly!

phatty

phatty - Feb 22, 2010 2:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Idea... In theory

Not one of these guys lived without some luck. Trying to duplicate the luck of all of them is not a good idea. Im still willing to bet, he didn't do these trips without a fair amount of preparation and planning. Watching the weather forecast, etc. Think Muir would have climbed shasta had he known the snow storm that was coming? But im still intrigued so i will read it... good article

drpw

drpw - Feb 23, 2010 1:27 am - Hasn't voted

Love the pioneers

One trip at the trail head my friend was encouraging me to bring an extra soft-shell or something and as encouragement turned into bullying I showed him the shell I was bringing and told him "Norman Clyde would have put an ice ax through your head to have just this piece of equipment, I'll be fine with this." As it turned out, I was fine.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Sierra Stories' main page