Silver Peak (SPS List) Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
sierraman

sierraman - Sep 12, 2021 3:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Advice

I have ascended Silver Peak twice, once from the north and once from the south. If you approach via Long Canyon do not follow the trail all the way to Beetlebug Lake. About half a mile north of the Lake leave the trail and make an ascending traverse to Midge Lake.
If approaching from Big Margaret Lake, ascend and follow along the top of the granite shoulder starting from the northeast corner of the Lake. The shoulder intersects with the SE ridge. Traverse to the col SE of the peak and follow the ridge from there.
One last piece of advice. Don't even think about driving up to the Onion Springs TH unless you have a high clearance vehicle. 4 WD helps, but is not a necessity.

Romain

Romain - Jul 23, 2022 5:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Approach from Mammoth

1) The approach from Mammoth (Lake Mary) is 36 miles roundtrip, not 24 miles.
2) It is possible to gain the lakes basin north of Silver Peak directly from Beetlebug Lake by hiking up the forest to its NW, skirting some cliffs to the right.
3) Not listed in Secor, the NW ridge of Silver Peak is a nice class 2 alternative to the tedious NE slope. From Beetlebug Lake, go to Sand Lake, hike up talus right of a steep tower, gain the NW ridge, and follow it to the summit of Silver Peak (Class 2).

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Silver Peak (SPS List)' main page