Ski Backpacking in the Ural Arctics

Ski Backpacking in the Ural Arctics

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Skiing

In lieu of an Area Page

Frosty dawn at Geologists  PassIced-over window at a geologists' trailer, 1986
Age of canvas waning: Arctic UralA tundra camp, 1980

Ural Mountains, the official divide between Europe and Asia, and between the Original Russia and Siberia, are huge. Even its Northern-most continental ranges, rising above undulating coastal tundra, stretch hundreds miles under the collective name of Arctic, or Polyarny, Ural (there are also hundreds more miles of mountain chains continuing further North over the archipelago of Novaya Zemlya).

Due to its mineral riches, Arctic Ural has been "relatively" accessible for a long time. It has longer snow season than most of the mountains of European Arctics, and the weather is a bit more stable there too, due to a greater distance from the moist winds of the North Atlantic.

That's why we developed a tradition of early- and late-season ski backpacks in the Arctic Ural. I first skied there twice in the early 80s in the crew of Olga Mazurenko, the famed Great Witch of the Tundra who always kept her trademark little broom sticking out of her backpack. In the late 80s I led four trips of my own all across the range. There is a lot to tell about these mountains' geography, history, and conditions, but for the time being, let me just share a few pictures.
The Arctic Ocean that way!Chains of mountains stretch North towards the Arctic Ocean shores. 1989


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
yatsek

yatsek - Nov 7, 2008 4:12 am - Voted 10/10

Great Job!

Beautiful album, and I'm not exaggerating; no kidding this time.
Cheers - Jacek

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Nov 9, 2008 6:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Job!

Thanks Yatsek, of course it is far far short of the original write-ups plan, but still a nice sampler :)

Noondueler

Noondueler - Dec 12, 2008 6:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome territory!

Great album! You really get out there!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Dec 13, 2008 2:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome territory!

Thanks Noondueler, it is a huge mountain country out there, both beautiful and stark

Viewing: 1-4 of 4