Ski Mountaineering Day Trip of Mt Gordon Wapta Icefields

Ski Mountaineering Day Trip of Mt Gordon Wapta Icefields

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 51.60007°N / 116.50012°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 26, 2008
Activities Activities: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring

Approach

One day ski trip to summit of Mount Gordon in the Wapta Icefield, Banff National Park, Canadian Rockies.
Approximately 28 km round trip and 1250 m ( 17.5 miles and 4100 feet). Just over 5 hours up and 2-3 hours to ski down.

This ascent is described in detail in Chic Scott's "Summits and Icefields- Canadian Rockies - Alpne Ski Tours".

Park alongside the road into Num-ti-jah Lodge and ski across Bow Lake, and approach as per the Bow Hut access.

We passed several large groups in the canyon. It is better to be spaced out in this terrain trap but the avalanche hazard was low.
bow hut approach
 


Large bowl below the headwall up to Bow Hut after exiting the canyon section.

Below Bow Hut
 


Bow Hut on bench with Saint Nicholas Peak behind.

Bow Hut/Saint Nicholas
 


Gain glacier above hut. Ski up past Saint Nicholas and across glacier

Saint Nicholas
 

Looking back at Saint Nicholas
Wapta icefield
 


Crossing glacier to Mt. Gordon. Route goes right around rocky buttress.
Mount Gordon
 



Summit with Mt Balfour in background.
Summit of Gordon
 


Mount Balfour and Diableret glacier to right.(great sking)
Mount Balfour
 


Telephoto of Mount Balfour. Balfour is also a ski mountaineering objective and is climbed from the opposite side from Balfour hut.
Mount Balfour
 


Sking down below Saint Nicholas.
skiing below St. Nick
 



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Bill Kerr

Bill Kerr - Sep 9, 2009 12:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Super Envious of your trip Bill.

Thanks
Glad you enjoy the pictures. Us Calgarians are lucky to have some great mountains/icefields to ski.

Your Wasatch backcountry ski terrain and photos look really good as well. I have skied some resorts in Utah but never had the opportunity/time to do backcountry.

Take care.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wapta IcefieldTrip Reports
 
Mt GordonTrip Reports