Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.14787°N / 118.61042°W
Additional Information County: Inyo
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13301 ft / 4054 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Thompson Ridge from North Lake area
Thompson Ridge with Ski Mountaineers Peak and Mt. Thompson back mid-left. From the North Lake area
The Thompson Ridge is a 3.5 mile offshoot of the Sierra Crest that runs from Mt. Thompson north to about .5 miles south of Lake Sabrina in the John Muir Wilderness. "Ski Mountaineers Peak", (unnamed on topo) is the high point on the Thompson Ridge .4 miles north of Mt. Thompson. It got its name from the Ski Mountaineers Section of the Sierra Club who have skied down it for years.
The east slope is class 2 and the northwest slope looks to be class 3-4 from Sunset Lake. It can be climbed along with Mt. Thompson on the same outing.

Getting There

 
Mt. Thompson 13,494  from Ski Mountaineers Peak, 13,280
Mt. Thompson from Ski Mountaineers Peak
From Highway 395 in downtown Bishop take Hwy 168 (West Line St.) west 14 miles to the road to South Lake.
Turn left and wind up the canyon 7 miles to trailhead parking by the South Lake campground at 9,850'.
Take the trail along the east side of the lake that leads to Bishop Pass 3/4 mile to the junction with the Treasure Lakes Trail.
Stay to the right on the Treasure Lakes Trail as it winds through a forested area 1 1/4 mile until it comes out to a more open area at 10,300'.
Break trail and hike/scramble 2 miles west-southwest up over slopes and benches then up the east slope to the class 2 summit which is obvious to the right of Mt. Thompson.
This hike is approximately 8 miles round trip and 3,500' gain.

Red Tape

 
John Muir Wilderness
Hurd Peak, left, off trail to Ski Mountaineers Peak
There are not permits required for dayhiking this peak.
For overnight permits and red tape details click on the John Muir Wilderness page.

Camping

 
Inconsolable Range and Palisades
East, southeast to the Inconsolable Range and Palisades from Ski Mountaineers Peak
Campgrounds along the South Lake Road
Forks Campground: 7,800', at the junction of Hwy. 168 and the South Lake Road.
Four Jeffery: 8,100', 1 mile up the South Lake Road and turn left.
Mountain Glenn: 8,500', 2.9 miles up the road.
Table Mountain: 8,800', 4 miles up the road.
Tyee Lakes: 9,200', 5 miles up the road.
LA Hupp: 9,400', 6 miles up the road.
South Lake: 9,850', at South Lake

There are also additional campgrounds along Hwy. 168 on the way to Lake Sabrina.

Current weather and 5 day forecast

 
Sierra Crest to Mt. Darwin
Sierra crest northwest from Ski Mountaineers Peak '02
Click here for current weather and 5 day forecast.  
North from Ski Mountaineers Peak
North from Ski Mountaineers Peak
 
South from Ski Mountaineers Peak
South from Ski Mountaineers Peak