Slackline

Slackline

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing
Joshua Tree National Park on a cold and windy afternoon in December of 2010.

This is a group of Canadian climbers visiting Joshua Tree. Some of them used a safety leash and there was at least one person who went across without any safety measures. The potential fall here is 65 feet onto solid rocks and boulders.

Short History: The very first time I saw something like this was in 1970, in Yosemite's Camp 4/ climbers campground. It consisted of a chain, 30 feet long, hung between two trees about 3 feet off the ground. Jim Bridwell , a Yosemite icon, and his buddies used to walk on it as the chain swung left and right like crazy. Everytime my buddies and I went there, we tried it too.
At least a decade later, the chain had turned into a one-inch-wide nylon webbing stretched between two trees. It was now called "Slackline."
Then, people started to increase the hight, 10 feet, 20 feet,... hung between two rock formations.
The latest, as far as I know: A famous Yosemite climber, Dean Potter, without any safety measure, has walked the slackline stretched between Lost Arrow Spire and Upper Yosemite Falls Wall, a potential fall of 2000 feet.
====================================================================


The set up
Walking the line
The set up




Walking on the slackline between the N. and S. Horror Rocks
Slackline
Slackline


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Bill Kerr

Bill Kerr - May 14, 2012 11:09 am - Hasn't voted

Young and Invincible

Marc - remember when we were young and bulletproof?

This looks thrilling but more crazy as I get older.

Bill

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - May 14, 2012 12:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Young and Invincible

Bill- I remember those days all too well.
I wish I knew what these guys are made of! Nerves of steel come to mind, especially for the guy who went across without a safety strap in a cold and windy sunset time.
Marc.

Lolli

Lolli - May 14, 2012 3:43 pm - Voted 10/10

wow

agree with both of you
:-)

Viewing: 1-3 of 3