Slick Rock Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
willow

willow - Jun 6, 2005 9:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I finally climbed the unknown route to the right of the Regular Route and it is very fun. It is called Memorial and I added it to the list of routes. Hope others can enjoy it, the route setters did a great job in making a causal bolted slab climb.

Sharon

Sharon - Jun 28, 2005 2:59 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the addition, willow. Memorial...? In honor of who? Is there a story? Please share.

atroutner - Sep 7, 2007 11:50 pm - Hasn't voted

1st ascent?

Jim Cockey, Harry Bowron, and Damon ?, first climbed the regular route in the summer of 1963. Jim was 16 at the time and Harry was a little younger. They had both attended a course with Paul Petzold at NOLS and came home to Idaho ready to use some of their new skills. Their rack consisted of a few lost arrow pitons, eiger carabiners, and 100' of nylon goldline rope. They made good progress until they reached the horizontal quartsite ledge at the top of the third crack (aka the lunch ledge). At that point they stalled for some time because of the lack of a crack for their pitons. Finally Harry took a long leadout up to the under clinging crack- most of the rope length, before finding a suitable place for pro. This was a big day for our family. My mom, little sister and I watched all day from the road. Very worried and very proud. My brother was a 'real' rock climber ( I was 8 at the time). I too climbed it when I turned 16. For many years slick rock was a right of passage for many young locals in the McCall area. My brother's equipment accompanied many a first timer up the face as he had given it over to our good friend Bill Whitman. Bill took it upon himself to initiate many a begginer to his favorite piece of rock, myself included.

Sharon

Sharon - Sep 25, 2007 4:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks!

..for the interesting info & helping to preserve Slick Rock's history.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Slick Rock' main page