Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.24400°N / 123.353°W
Additional Information County: Yamhill
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1961 ft / 598 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Slide Mountain is located near McMinnville, Oregon in the Coastal Range of Western Oregon. From the summit of Slide Mountain you have a fantastic view looking east over the wide green Willamette Valley to the volcanos of the Cascades (both Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson can be seen). To get to Slide Mountain you follow several winding country roads that lead west into the coastal range foothills near McMinnville, Oregon. This route makes for a fantastic mountain bike ride through the beautiful countryside and you can hike the last little bit to the top. Vegetation consists of various hardwood and conifer trees, wild berry bushes, and beautiful spring wildflowers. Also, mushroom hunting (chantarelles) is popular in the area. Make sure you know your mushrooms and get a solid ID before consuming!

Getting There

Slide Mountain is about 12 miles west of McMinnville, Oregon in the green lush foothills of the coast range. Take the Baker Creek Road that goes west of town. Turn left on the Powerhouse Hill Road then turn right on the Peavine Road and then right on the White Road. This road is unpaved and will wind its way up Slate Mountain and will get within 1/8 mile of its summit.

Red Tape

No permits are needed to hike up to Slide Mountain. There are no fees. Please practice Leave No Trace ethics on your visit. Also be aware of private property in the area and don't go past No Trespassing signs.

When to Climb

All year climbs are possible. Of course fair weather (May - September) months are the most popular. Western Oregon receives most of its rain during the winter months so go prepared for wet conditions and mud from October - April.

Camping

There is a primitive campsite near the end of the road on Slide Mountain. There is a grassy area to put up a tent and a fire ring. There are no services here so bring your own water and pack out what you pack in.

External Links

McMinnville Weather Forecast

Info on two waterfalls located near Slide Mountain: Slide Mountain and Baker Creek Falls

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Oregon Coast RangeMountains & Rocks