Viewing: 1-20 of 22
12
peninsula

peninsula - Oct 20, 2009 4:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Stuff...

Thanks Chief,

It will definitely be one for the old memory bank!

Dave Dinnell

Dave Dinnell - Oct 20, 2009 4:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Great story

Enjoyed your tale! And photos too!!

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 20, 2009 4:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great story

Thanks Dave!

It was the first time in all of these years I did not carry a fishing rod just to fit in a bit more photography equipment.

madeintahoe

madeintahoe - Oct 21, 2009 1:52 pm - Voted 10/10

What an adventure

Thank you Greg for sharing this! I always enjoy your TR. I was wondering about that storm and thought maybe you got caught in it..I am glad that all went okay and you got out safe. It must have been beautiful with the new snow..yet a bit uneasy feeling being out there in those conditions.
I did not know the Pika also is called a Cony..how cute...I love those sweet little critters :)
Hope all is well
Take care

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 21, 2009 3:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: What an adventure

Thanks Anita!
Uneasy and beautiful describes exactly how it was. Good to be out! It was an adventure like nothing I've ever experienced before. Definitely want to get back to the Kaweah region in the future... a really beautiful place!

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 21, 2009 3:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Real adventure!

You are welcome, Mike. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

paco - Oct 22, 2009 9:32 pm - Hasn't voted

My Brother

Well, one of them anyway. It was interesting hearing him tell the same story. It was mainly a story of survival due to his inserting himself in these rather challenging entrances and exits referred as mistakes that he will never make again? But without the escapes there would not be such an opportunity to admire the feat. It is just the kind of guy he is...to be fiddling around taking pictures when he doesn't know if one step might be the last. Good job, Greg.

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 23, 2009 8:30 am - Hasn't voted

Re: My Brother

Looking forward to the day you can join me on another trip!

climber555

climber555 - Oct 25, 2009 1:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Job

Sounds like one hell of an adventure. Enjoyed the story and the pictures.

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 25, 2009 1:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Job

Thanks climber555,

Some say true adventures begin when something goes wrong.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Oct 25, 2009 4:22 pm - Voted 10/10

entertaining read

Backpacking in wet snow is a trying experience! Thanks for the good read; I was enthralled as when reading a good novel.

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 25, 2009 5:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: entertaining read

Thanks MoapaPK,

I was enthralled with the experience... still am, too!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Oct 25, 2009 6:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: entertaining read

I'm re-reading "kidnapped" by RLS, and was amazed at the similarity of narrative!

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 25, 2009 8:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: entertaining read

I'll have to check it out, this book by RLS.

Mountain_girl

Mountain_girl - Oct 25, 2009 7:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks!

That is a beautiful picture-story of the park, thanks for posting.

peninsula

peninsula - Oct 25, 2009 8:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks!

You bet! This park has captured my life's ambitions.

orbitor

orbitor - Nov 6, 2009 2:20 pm - Hasn't voted

in the shadow of Whitney

What a story... I'm glad you got out alive, first of all, and second of all without having to fork over the fee for getting rescued.
I did the JMT from Crabtree to Whitney in August and found the climbing challenging then, so I can only imagine what it must have been with a few feet of snow up on those switchbacks above Guitar Lake.
Great pictures nonetheless. The views from the climb to Trail Crest are breathtaking regardless of the time of the year.

peninsula

peninsula - Nov 8, 2009 9:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: in the shadow of Whitney

Thanks revolvingscimitar,

It is a beautiful area, but like you say, it is difficult backpacking terrain. I had always avoided Whitney in the past primarily because of the crowds, but secondarily because of the altitude. I did Whitney this year figuring it would not be so crowded in mid-October and because of the proximity to the Kern-Kaweah drainage. I want to return to the Kern-Kaweah, but next time I'm considering an eastern entrance followed by a western exit. One time over Whitney on any given trip is enough!

orbitor

orbitor - Apr 5, 2012 5:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: in the shadow of Whitney

Oh my, I signed back on to Summitpost after 2 and a half years and just saw your reply. I apologize for the delay. This September I will be doing the High Sierra Trail, so going through the area we both know again. Hoping to NOT have to deal with anything close to your ordeal...

peninsula

peninsula - Apr 5, 2012 6:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: in the shadow of Whitney

Cheers, r.scimitar! I never did my Western exit last year, I opted going instead over New Army with a Kearsarge exit. Near the half-way point, my food-drop person advised an early exit the way I came in to avoid yet another major storm. I'd rather weather them out than take an early exit. "Snowbound" is definitely not one to repeat, but it was also one of those life's lessons like none other.

Viewing: 1-20 of 22
12
Return to 'Snowbound Sequoia National Park Oct. 2009' main page