Snowfield Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
DawnchaserTheAdventurer

DawnchaserTheAdventurer - Aug 29, 2019 2:40 pm - Hasn't voted

For Getting There:

After Mid-July, the glacier opens up and the side of the glacier directly below Paul Bunyan's Stump becomes too crevassed to safely follow.

Instead:

Cross east around rim of basin along rock rib, following cairns and dirt path past bivy sites to SE side of Colonial Glacier. Look for dirt/ rock slides on glacier, and cross those in a SW direction until you can look straight west across the glacier toward PBS, and not be hindered by too many crevasses or moulins.

Go west to center of glacier, then navigate way up, threading between crevasses, in a SW direction, toward a small section of the glacier beneath the smaller cliff bands, and look for a part of the glacier that nearly touches the rock - look for a series of large red rock steps, and a small 3 rock cairn built at the spot where the ice reaches closest to the rock with least amount of moat/ weak snowbridge danger.

Cross onto rock steps, then work way up onto ridge to continue for PBS/Pinnacle/Pyramid, or head south toward big cliff, for the Colonial-Neve Col.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'Snowfield Peak' main page