Viewing: 1-3 of 3
bobpickering

bobpickering - Oct 15, 2009 5:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Snowflower Mountain

I recently mentioned Snowflower Mountain to one of my climbing partners, and he insisted that the name was Sunflower. I had learned the name Snowflower from an old climber who was a longtime friend of the late Alvin McLane. He said Alvin had named it Snowflower many years ago, and that the USGS had accepted that name.

I did a little research. The latest 7.5 map does show Sunflower. However, the USGS Geographic Names Information System shows "Snowflower Mountain." Google Maps also finds "Snowflower Mountain." I think the right name is "Snowflower Mountain," rather than "Mount Snowflower," as it appears on summitpost.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Oct 16, 2009 10:49 am - Hasn't voted

There are snowflowers

There are snowflowers on the mountain, but not sunflowers. Thus, I think the USGS simply made a mistake. It happens with the U.S. Government sometimes.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - May 19, 2014 1:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Mt. vs. Mountain

Bob's main point, I think, is that it is officially called "Snowflower Mountain", not "Mt. Snowflower". In the BGN database they list Mt. Snowflower and Snowflower Peak as variations, but the citations are both to SummitPost(!).

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Snowflower Mountain' main page