Snowmass - Hagerman Traverse

Snowmass - Hagerman Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 16, 2007
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Fall

The Approach

Mountains: Snowmass Mountain (14,092’) and Hagerman Peak (13,841’)
Route: Started at Lead King Basin TH and climbed the West Slopes Route to Snowmass’ Summit. Traversed to Hagerman and looped back to the TH
Stats:
Elevation Gain - 5000’ (approx)
Roundtrip Mileage / Time - 12 miles / 9hours
TH to Snowmass Summit - 4 hours
Snowmass to Hagerman - 2:15
Hagerman to TH - 2:45


We drove out of Boulder late on Saturday afternoon rather tired and dehydrated from the previous night’s party at doumall’s. We drove to the little town of Marble and drove up FR 315 pretty quickly (this, along with Forest Road 314 are rather tame and do not warrant comparison with South Colony Lakes (before its teeth were pulled out), or Lake Como Road). We went to bed at 10:30PM at Lead King Basin TH with an alarm set for 3AM. The night was clear, but there were passing showers overnight. When we did wake up finally at 5:15AM, we saw clear sky directly overhead but storm clouds approaching from all directions with lightning and thunder in the distance. We decided to hoof it anyway… at least we’d be safe until timberline and we’d assess the situation from there. We started hiking under headlamps at 5:50AM. The hike up to Geneva Lake went quickly. Close to the lake there is a maze of trails heading right and left to campsites. We stayed left on most of them staying high and to the left of the lake the whole time, and ascended a bench that took us to the foot of Snowmass. The sky due South boiled up several doses of trouble for us. The first wave of hail hit us at around 7:30AM. We ran for cover under a canopy of trees and lay there for about 20 minutes cursing our luck when the sky cleared up and we headed on again.

SH1

The West Slopes:

We reached the foot of the climb at 8AM. The route was pretty obvious.

SH2


The talus at the base of the slope was not too bad. We stashed our poles and quickly headed up the slope and over the grass. We stopped for a quick bite to eat and to warm up at 12,450’ at 8:30AM. As we prepared to leave we looked due South at the next approaching wave of weather. We would have to move quickly to be able to summit and descend to safety. We figured we would be fine if we summitted by 10AM. We resumed the climb at 8:45AM, aiming for a little over 1600’ vert in the next 75 minutes.

SH3


The following pictures reveal much of the terrain that is prevalent in the last 1600’ leading up to the Snowmass summit on this route.

SH3_1


SH4


SH5


About 150’ below the summit Joe yelled and pointed to the South. The clouds we’d neglected for a bit while concentrating on the Class 3 climbing had rolled closer. At this point he quickly scrambled up and left to North Snowmass while I ran up Snowmass. A cloud descended on us and there was wind and a little rain. We covered the last 150’ to our respective summits in 5 minutes. Joe grabbed this quick picture of Capitol from North Snowmass.

SH6


We both turned and ran downhill and reconvened at a sheltered gully roughly 50 feet below summit. We decided to buckle down and wait out the current wave for a few minutes. Like clockwork the sky cleared up again 15 minutes later, and Joe uttered the magic words… “I think we should attempt the traverse”. We climbed back up to Snowmass’ summit.

SH7


We looked across at Hagerman and assessed the weather situation. We might have just enough time to traverse across before the next wave came in from the South. We needed to move quickly and confidently over tricky terrain. There was one portion, the crux tower a little over halfway across the ridge which held the potential to cause problems, but we had a solution to work with from reading Lordhelmut’s (another climber on 14ers.com) report on the traverse from a few weeks prior.

SH8

The Traverse

We started down from Snowmass at 10:25AM. The initial part of the traverse is a fairly simple class 2+/3 scramble down to the saddle. We quickly covered ground half hiking, half running, and keeping a close watch on the next wave of weather.

SH8_1


This was what lay ahead of us…

SH9


The weather above us was clear now, but we absolutely had to get past the crux tower at any cost before weather rolled in again. There is an exposed knife edge that leads up to this tower. Thar she blows…

SH10


This is the close up shot also furnished in previous reports.

SH11


We studied an exposed ledge system skirting the tower along its right, but decided that the left looked a little better. We did not find a solution to summitting that tower that did not involve an exposed 5.0-5.2 move. We shuffled along a ledge heading to the left of the tower.

SH12


Joe headed up along the left of the knife edge

SH13


SH14


and I followed… The exposure on this particular section put a few spots on the LB-Blanca traverse to shame. There were no hand holds as this picture suggests. The wall in front of us was smooth as marble and it was immediately obvious to us that slipping was not a desirable option.

SH15


SH16


Here’s another look at the exposure below us.

SH17


Joe took this route up to the summit of the tower… There was a slight bulge and not the best holds. The rock was loose at spots and Joe mentioned that a 5.5 move was required.

SH18


I took a different route, climbing the crest of a fin to the left of this dihedral.

SH19


The holds were minimal. I would guess it was highly exposed 5.3, but the holds were solid although sparse.

SH20


SH21


SH22


What seemed like an eternity to me was exactly 2 minutes from the base of the fin to where Joe was positioned. Past this section the summit of the crux tower was close. There was a little exposed down-climbing on the other side of the tower, but the holds were great.

SH23


SH24


SH25


SH26


Here’s a shot of the tower with Snowmass Mtn. in the background. This was taken from a ways past the tower.

SH27


We scrambled quickly and could now smell the paper on Hagerman’s summit register. We were close. The next wave of weather was now rolling in and I heard muffled cloud to cloud thunder at least three times between the tower and where we were, but there was no bailing off from here. Joe had not heard the thunder yet. At that very moment I heard it a fourth time and yelled “Did you hear that?” The anticipated response arrived… “Oh $h!t”. We needed to move fast over Class 3/4 terrain. The summit pitch was hidden from where we were and there was no telling what would come around the bend and present itself. A cloud moved in on us like a shroud bringing visibility down quickly.

SH28


We rounded one final bend and found ourselves at the base of the summit pitch.

SH29


While this looks easy, it required a couple exposed low 5th class moves on smooth rock… and these moves were to be made with haste.

SH30


SH32


SH33


SH34


SH35


SH36


SH37


SH38


SH39


The exposure was keen, and the reward for enduring it was tremendous, given our mind-set… for right beyond this we found the summit block. The celebration was short-lived and we found no time to sign the register or even get summit photos except for this one…

SH40

The Descent

We quickly ran down the first gully we found heading right off the summit. We scrambled from shelter to shelter. Adrenalin kept us in the game. I had never moved so fast down loose talus and scree.

SH41


We were down to around 13,400’, which translates to 461 vertical feet of descent in 7 minutes. Beelzebub’s minions were at work all around us.

SH42


We heard the sharp sound of lightning striking rock from the direction of the connecting ridge closer to Snowmass and heard a wave of hail approaching us. Snowmass’ summit would be an unhappy place to be we thought. At this point Joe actually found another person on Snowmass’ summit. We were now getting struck by hail the size of chick peas. We were in a mad rush now. We made it down below the hail and the storm clouds before we stopped for a breather... 1500 feet in the 35 minutes since leaving the summit. All thanks to adrenalin.

SH43


The rest of the trail was rather easy to follow although there was plenty of slipping and sliding over steep grassy slopes. We followed a cairned trail alongside a stream down to the lake. Down below the lake it started raining again. Lightning struck the high ridges and summits all around us and we got soaked in a very heavy downpour. We finally got back to the trailhead famished, tired and extremely lucky… The next time I hear chicken noises from the pit of my stomach when I head out on a bad weather day I’m turning around and heading back home.

SH44


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 22
12
WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - Sep 19, 2007 1:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Exposure

I like exposure and all... but you guys bring it to a new level. Excellent TR. Felt like I was there.

maverick

maverick - Sep 19, 2007 2:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Exposure

Thanks WalksWithBlackflies, I see you climb in upstate NY. I'll be in the area for Thanksgiving week, but cannot bring my winter gear unfortunately. Is there any chance I can find a nice non-technical ADK 46er that can be hiked without snowshoes and other gear?

mtnhiker13

mtnhiker13 - Sep 19, 2007 3:52 pm - Voted 10/10

you guys

are crazy!! Great photos!

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Sep 19, 2007 8:56 pm - Voted 10/10

You said it...

so I don't need to say it, but...you guys are indeed lucky. Awesome sequence of photos, though. You bring "nail biting entertainment" on SP to a new level. Congratulations on this daring feat, but you're right. Next time the weather looks bad, wait for another and safer day. Nonetheless, great report-well written and presented, and your text and route photos will no doubt help those that follow in your footsteps prepare accordingly. Thanks for submitting this great report to SP.

maverick

maverick - Sep 20, 2007 10:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: you guys

Thanks mtnhiker13 / Aaron... This is an extremely interesting traverse with great views on a good weather day. We had a blast.

Prakash

CookieMonster

CookieMonster - Sep 24, 2007 12:59 am - Voted 10/10

When I started reading

I was already thinking that the weather looked sketchy. I wouldn't want to make those moves on wet rock...

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 25, 2007 2:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome

I've become mostly disenchanted with trip reports, but this and your one on the Little Bear-Blanca traverse are outstanding. They are, to me, about what mountaineering is at its best-- exposed ridges and traverses where the only protection is your wits and your skill, and maybe a little luck as well. These reports are engrossing and inspirational, and I sincerely thank you for the work you put into them and for sharing them on SP.

Diggler

Diggler - Sep 25, 2007 4:09 pm - Hasn't voted

nice TR

A fun read with good pics! Looks like it'd be a blast (in rare CO high country good weather)! For being in such a hurry, you sure took a lot of pics! :) How cold was it? Seems like ditching the gloves could've sped things up (& been more secure), although when things are chilly, numb hands don't make technical terrain any easier.

doumall

doumall - Sep 25, 2007 7:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: nice TR

I usually have plenty of time to take pics waiting for Maverick ;@ Just kidding... well, mostly kidding.

We did ditch the gloves on the tower for your exact reasoning.

tioga

tioga - Sep 25, 2007 7:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Awesome

I loved reading your trip report. It was incredibly engrossing. It makes me want to move to Colorado and begin climbing many of the peaks. I have been there twice and have loved the mountains.

Thanks for the report!

maverick

maverick - Sep 25, 2007 8:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome

Thanks CookieMonster/Bob/Diggler/Tioga...

Diggler: We usually get most of our pics when we stop to rehydrate or eat or at tricky climbing sections where we've to slow down anyway. We usually share the picture-taking load except on this trip where I had a low battery and doumall had no memory card, so we pooled in our resources. It wasn't too cold but I sustained some frostbite during a winter ascent and it still creates problems for me when the weather dips low enough. I don't take my gloves off unless the holds are tiny like on that tower.

Brad Snider

Brad Snider - Sep 26, 2007 6:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Always wondered about specifics of this route. Great report and awesome pics!

-Brad

BobSmith

BobSmith - Sep 26, 2007 9:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Amazing!

Probably the best trip report I've seen on summitpost.

maverick

maverick - Sep 28, 2007 2:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing!

Thanks for the vote and comment Bob...

Scott Pierce

Scott Pierce - Sep 27, 2007 7:06 am - Voted 10/10

Trip Report

Excellent pictures and narrative. With trip reports this good, I can just stay home and read to get my fix!

aemter - Sep 27, 2007 12:12 pm - Voted 10/10

I liked

all the pictures. Really makes the TR a joy to read (and see!). Nice work.

dsunwall - Sep 27, 2007 1:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Excellent!

That has to be one of the most exciting traverses in the state.
Here is a link to the earliest TR that I know of, although I suspect it has been done a long time ago.
www.fourteenerworld.com/TripReports/HTML/100TripReports.htm
except I don't know how to post a link here.

maverick

maverick - Sep 28, 2007 2:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent!

Thanks dsunwall... It's definitely an interesting traverse. I'm not sure if it's the most exciting traverse in the state, although it did have a couple 5.3-5.4 pitches and was pretty exposed.

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Sep 27, 2007 8:55 pm - Voted 10/10

exciting

Great series of photos with a fast-paced, lean report. Makes an exciting visual feast.

maverick

maverick - Sep 28, 2007 2:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks...

Scott/aemter/Asher, for the appreciation.

Viewing: 1-20 of 22
12