So I jump ship to Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet

So I jump ship to Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 15, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Not really, it goes more like this:

Get your hiney off the couch and start living…..

On December 2007 while still rehabilitating from 7 strokes a year earlier (caused by strenuous exercise and continued smoking of tobacco), I found myself in front of the TV (like that’s rare) watching “Everest Beyond the Limit” on the discovery channel. I couldn’t believe that amateurs (well conditioned ones) were summiting the tallest mountain in the world.

I was amazed as a biker who had recovered from a horrific motorcycle accident (and appeared to have NO idea of the Team concept), an asthmatic trying to go it without oxygen were having success. Now mind you these guys are in terrific shape and I don’t think for one minute that I am them, but I am more than I was being at the particular time.

So I went on my 5 mile walk which I had been doing frequently for that past year and noticed Squaw Butte about 25 miles away. The Squaw really stands out in the winter in Idaho. I thought, I can do that! Doesn’t Idaho have like over 200 mountains? I got on the computer and goggled Squaw Butte and found Sawtoothsean and a whole page about it on Summitpost.org.

After gobs of research, e-mails to Sean and Clarence Dishner from Gem County Search and Rescue, I had a plan. Hike about 6.8 miles to the summit of this butte with snowshoes, my son Tanner and several friends and their sons.

Need to mention that I learned that my friends Matt and Dan are pretty accomplished backpackers. So this new sport/hobby is really starting to look good.

Accomplished

Nine months later, it has been a great trip for me. I have learned a bundle. I have met some GREAT people in person and on Summitpost e-mail and forums

So here is the report data that started on February 23rd;

Training- 480 plus miles walked with weights, mountain biked, lifted weights and trying to get ready for extreme hiking.

7 peaks hiked with some moderate scrambling, 2 failed summits with one due to miscommunication and other due to a light headed thing or Fear????

Feb 2008- Sept 2008 results = 56.5 miles hiked, 17235 ft of elevation
gained.

October 2008 - August 2009 Goals

Cervidae Peak- Boise Mountains Idaho
Jarbidge Mountains - All of them- Nevada
Hayden Peak- Owyhee Mountains Idaho
War Eagle - Owyhee Mountains Idaho
Mt Adams- Cascades- Washington
South Sister- Cascades Oregon
Middle Sister - Cascades Oregon
Mt Bachelor- Cascades Oregon
Hyndman Peak- Pioneer Mountains Idaho
Mt San Gorgonio- San Bernardino Mountains California
Mt Whitney- Sierra Nevada Mountains California

Hope to see any of you at the top!

Thank you for allowing me to post this stuff!!!


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
rpc

rpc - Dec 12, 2008 6:58 pm - Voted 10/10

damn

"On December 2007 while still rehabilitating from 7 strokes a year earlier "
that's one hell of an opening line Steve! Glad to hear things are better!

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Dec 12, 2008 10:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: damn

Me too Radek. It took about 18 months before I had all of my strength back, with that came and extra 25 pounds of fat (quitting smoking). So, considering my former extreme military career, my love for the outdoors, and a desire to lose that extra weight, I decided he Mountains is where I wanted to be.

cp0915

cp0915 - Jan 7, 2009 2:17 pm - Voted 10/10

If nothing else...

the title got my attention - a great line from a classic!

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Jan 7, 2009 3:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: If nothing else...

BIG Hitter the Lama!

Gunga Gualungada . . .

Viewing: 1-4 of 4