Solunska Glava from Karacica

Solunska Glava from Karacica

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.73330°N / 21.51660°E
Additional Information Route Type: Demanding hike !
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Skopje you can go with car (taxi is very cheep too) to the village Preslap which is some 39 Km – the road is decent. If you don’t have a four-wheel drive the walking begins here and I suggest this very strongly – because the nature is simply to beautiful not to be seen during accent to the Karacica hut.
However with 4WD you could reach to all the way Karacica hut and even to the main summit Solunska Glava – but this is not an option we are talking about.
The route can be split in two sections:

Section 1) Preslap – Alginci (village) – Karacica hut: 2.30h

Section 2) Karacica hut – Begovo Pole – Solunska Glava : 5.00h and more


Route Description


Section 1) Preslap – Alginci (village) – Karacica hut: 2.30h

Beautiful mountains and not very demanding part of the route. Mountaineering markations are present during the route so orientation is not a problem even if you are first timer. You must follow the main road for 3 Km then you will descend in the valley and here you must cross-river Kadina (there is a small bridge). After the river route continues with forest until you reach village Alginci. Above the village is the Mountain Karacica and following the markation you will reach the same name – Karacica hut approximately for 25-30 minutes. This hut is open during the year and you can stay there for dirty-cheep prices. In the winter if there are nobody inside – the hut is still open and everybody can stay, but you must set fire and other logistical things. Mountaineering Association Korab is operating with Karacica hut.

Section 2) Karacica hut – Begovo Pole – Solunska Glava : 5.00h and more

This approach to Solunska Glava is very long. Route begins following the macadam road the markation is still available. After 1.30h you will reach to several private hut’s some deserted. The paths after 30 minutes will take you to the Monument build for 8 pilots from Russia who died on that place during their Airplane crash in 1992. Further up is an old Police station house also deserted? From this point the hard ascend is starting with serpentines. An hour after you will reach the plate named “Begovo Pole” wonderful place especially in the summer. There is also open Hut – Begovo Pole. The weather after October up there is very unstable – very windy and fogy. Solunska Glava the peak is well visible from Begovo Pole and very hard path begins of the route approximately one-hour long. There is winter markation to follow until the summit. If the weather is clear the route is not dangers, but if the visibility is low the best choice is to stop and went back in the Karacica hut (specially in the late autumn and winter)



Essential Gear


Just regular hike gear in the summer and crampons and other winter gear are necessary the rest of the year.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.