Viewing: 1-15 of 15
rgg

rgg - Feb 6, 2012 9:02 am - Voted 10/10

A useful list

Strange to see that there are so many mountains still without a page, but that also provides an opportunity to make this list more valuable!

I presume that some may be missing because they are not particularly interesting, others, like Julianatop, because very few people even attempt to climb them.

I would like to see a bit more than short excerpts from the peaks that are already represented on Summitpost. Perhaps you could give a little bit more information about the missing ones? Like a location, whether it's easy to get there and whether it's a walk up or something more serious?

To show what I mean, I did a bit of research for Julianatop. I choose this one, because until 1975, Surinam was a Dutch colony, and as a result a significant minority of people with Surinam roots lives in The Netherlands.

My research taught me that Julianatop is located in the Wilhelmina mountains. The source of these two names is obvious: Wilhelmina was queen of The Netherlands from 1990 until 1948, when she was succeeded by her daughter Juliana who reigned until 1980. Perhaps the mountain had received a name by the indigenous population before the Dutch colonized it, but if it did, I didn't
find it.
The Wilhelmina mountains lie deep in the jungle in the middle of the country and the summits are still covered by dense jungle. Google terrain view places the summit of Julianatop at 3.683°N / 56.535°W. The jungle makes it very hard to get there and consequently the mountain sees very few attempts.

Several sources claim that the summit is 1230m high, not 1280m. A very short article in Wikipedia.nl states 1280m (retrieved on 6 February 2012), but as source it refers to the "Wereld Bosatlas", a popular Dutch atlas, but notoriously unreliable for elevations. For example, my copy of the Bosatlas (from 1997) states that La Neblina is 3100m, and Illimani 6882m! So, forget Wikipedia.

Google Maps shows a contour of 1220m around the summit, but that's not decisive. Small and pointy summits are not captured very well by the SRTM data on which Google Maps is primarily based, and I don't know how steep it really is, so it could still be 1280m high. A bit more research, or perhaps an email to the appropriate Surinam institute, might resolve this.

Some useful references I found were Julianatop on Peakbagger, a very short trip report (in Dutch), and a longer and well written article (also in Dutch) claiming the first ascent as late as 2011! Their GPS measured 1257m on the summit. I have some doubts as to whether it this was indeed the first ascent, meaning that all others before climbed the wrong peak, but I can imagine how this could happen. The range being covered by jungle makes it difficult to see anything from the summits. These days, we are blessed with GPS, altimeters and Google maps to help us out, but before that, I imagine it would be hard to know an exact location in the jungle, and from any of the other summits it would have been very difficult to know if it was the highest or not.

Quite interesting, this peak, but I'm not particularly attracted to the jungle, so I won't go there.

PAROFES

PAROFES - Feb 19, 2012 11:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A useful list

Great research Rob, as soon as I get better (pneumonia) I'll get to it.
Together with the fantastcly awful weaher in the Atacama, something I ve never seen before in five years, I got sick. So I am back home really, really sick, and never got the chance of one climb at all...Just lost a whole year my friend...
So give me a few days and I'm gonna work on it.
Cheers
Paulo

rgg

rgg - Feb 21, 2012 2:18 am - Voted 10/10

Re: A useful list

Get well soon, Paulo!

Scott

Scott - Feb 7, 2012 11:38 am - Hasn't voted

Colombia

Although Colon is often listed with an identical height, the highest point in Colombia is probably Pico Simón Bolívar. At least this according to one of John Biggar's books and some other sources.

Other Colombian sources (when I was there in 1998) have said that the only reason Colon appears on more maps is that it was much easier to climb and thus could be used as a survey point as well as being more visible from populated areas to the north.

PAROFES

PAROFES - Feb 19, 2012 11:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Colombia

As soon as I get better I'll work on it. And I knew about the Simon Bolivar. But since no one can climb it, no measures can be made. Well, that and the eruption that never stops for some 11 years or so...

PAROFES

PAROFES - Feb 27, 2012 9:11 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Colombia

Scott, I just updated the list with the info you reminded me of, and I left a link to an article I wrote myself some time ago about the main summits of Colombia. Cheers
Paulo

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Feb 7, 2012 2:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Well done!

Great page Paulo. Good to have all these peaks gathered together, and I like that you have a short blurb on each of them too.

It'd be a cool addition if there was a small table that listed them, so you could see them all together. Let me know if you are interested and might need some code for that...

Chad

PAROFES

PAROFES - Feb 19, 2012 11:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done!

Great idea Chad!
Ah don't worrie about the code, there is an article online here at SP with all of them :)
As soon as I get better from the damn pneumonia, I'll work on it.
Cheers
Paulo

PAROFES

PAROFES - Feb 27, 2012 9:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done!

Table done Chad!
Check it out and see if you have any more ideas!
Cheers buddy
Paulo

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Feb 27, 2012 2:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Well done!

Nicely done. I think it is a great addition. You could make the mountain names in the table links (for those that have SP pages), since you asked. :-)

Really is a great page though. Lists like this of country highpoints are a great addition I think... gets people thinking about new areas.

PAROFES

PAROFES - Feb 27, 2012 3:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done!

Hmmm good idea, done.
:-)

paisajeroamericano

paisajeroamericano - Mar 30, 2013 4:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Uruguay HP

I just added a page for Cerro Catedral, Uruguay's highpoint. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the area. Hopefully, somebody will post one at some point. Nice page. Muito legal!

PAROFES

PAROFES - Apr 5, 2013 8:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Uruguay HP

Hey man!
Sorry about the time it took me to answer your messages. I was inside a hospital, I am currently fighting leukemia so sometimes I stay off for weeks.
I'll update the list right now!
Cheers
Parofes

paisajeroamericano

paisajeroamericano - Apr 5, 2013 10:20 am - Hasn't voted

Vamos Arriba, Vo!!!

No worries, there's no hurry at all. Thanks for updating the list and thanks for adding the photo. I made it the primary image. And hey, get better fast. Todo bem com Cerro Catedral, but I want to see you on some real South American mountains soon. Btw, I've been following your mountain pages around the Andes for years (just climbed Osorno last month), keep up the good work!!!
Um abraço, Jeff

PAROFES

PAROFES - Apr 5, 2013 10:30 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Vamos Arriba, Vo!!!

Oh I will man, this is just temporary delay hehehe
See you man!
Abrazos
Parofes

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'South America Highpoints' main page