Viewing: 1-20 of 36
12
cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 4, 2007 4:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice addition

I've done this little peak by a couple different routes. The carved names were odd. The peak is also known to some as "South Ariel Peak".

tanya

tanya - Dec 6, 2007 10:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice addition

Hey Courtney....

Where did the name come from? It's always good to go with an original!

cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 7, 2007 9:50 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice addition

I don't know the particulars of the original story, other than that a friend told me that he was originally given beta for "Ariel Peak" (rather than "Aires Butte") by "someone". Based on that, the smaller, southern peak became "South Ariel Peak".

I should ask my friend who gave him the "Ariel" name. Certainly only a variation of "Aires".

CP

bobeck

bobeck - Dec 7, 2007 10:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice addition

Thanks Courtney. I would like to know the history.

cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 7, 2007 10:07 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice addition

Makes no difference to me, of course. Frankly, Ribbon has a better ring to it!

tanya

tanya - Dec 7, 2007 10:28 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice addition

Was it from Steve Mallory? I saw a comment by him on the Aries Butte page.. something about Ariel/Aries. Bo and I know him. He did the Hike across Zion (50 miles) in a Day hike with Bo last year.

bobeck

bobeck - Dec 7, 2007 11:18 am - Hasn't voted

Name of South Ariel Peak?

Actually it could have been Dow? I noticed his writeup on Aires Butte also suggests the actual Mountain name as Mount Ariel. Dow lists "Aires Butte" climb as "Trad" but when I climbed it there were pitons and bolts to protect the 4 pitches of climbing. Maybe Dow climbed this route before any permanent protection had been placed?

Dow? Maybe you named the peak to the south of Mount Ariel as "South Ariel Peak"?

cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 7, 2007 11:19 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice addition

I don't know who the info originally came from. Dow and I were discussing the Aires/Ariel thing once, and he mentioned that the person he'd gotten the beta from knew the feature as "Ariel".

cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 7, 2007 11:22 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Name of South Ariel Peak?

Naaah, Dow was the one who told me that the guy who gave him the beta had referred to it as Ariel. Not sure how it came to be before that.

As for the "trad" reference, I wonder if perhaps he just typo'd or something. I seem to remember him telling me that it was bolted/pinned when he did it.

bobeck

bobeck - Dec 7, 2007 11:27 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Name of South Ariel Peak?

Funny? Dow came into my store a year or so back and I told him about "Aries Butte"? I had climbed it a few weeks earlier and I showed him the location and also had told him about the register on top. 3 people had started the register and had called it "Aires Butte". I don't know if they were the first ascensionists, or if they had just been the ones to finally put a register in place? I think I was about the 5th or 6th to sign the register?

cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 7, 2007 11:35 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Name of South Ariel Peak?

Okay, perhaps there was a miscommunication between Dow and I.

I PM'd Dow and asked him to join us in our discussion so that perhaps he can clarify. I don't want to spread bad info, and my info is 3rd party. Hopefully he'll chime in soon.

tanya

tanya - Dec 7, 2007 3:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Name of South Ariel Peak?

ha ha... Bet this new name is all just a typo. ;P

hgrapid

hgrapid - Dec 4, 2007 7:59 pm - Voted 9/10

Mountain and Rock?

This page is a bit sloppy. Maybe format it better, correct grammar, provide and elevation, and treat this like a mountain page, not a route page. Let me know if you make changes, and I will update my vote.

Scott

Scott - Dec 4, 2007 8:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Mountain and Rock?

I agree with some of the above. Maybe this would be best as a trip report or route page, but a little more detail (such as how to drive to Keyhole for those who may not know) would be useful.

It just doesn't quite have all the information to use to drive to and climb the peak.

Let me know what I can do to help. SP's format takes some getting used to. Feel free to email or PM me if you may want some help on anything.

bobeck

bobeck - Dec 5, 2007 11:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mountain and Rock?

I made a few changes...I'm pretty new to this stuff and my "computer saavy" is very limited. I am having problems with the coordinate system? I use National Geographic TOPO and the coords. just don't seem to jibe with the mapping being used on the website? I'm also trying hard to understand the formatting, and correct location to put Routes, trail reports, etc. It will take me some time to understand the concept, but I think I'll get the hang of it soon.
Thanks,
Bo

bobeck

bobeck - Dec 5, 2007 11:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mountain and Rock?

I appreciate the offer. Sorry if I'm causing problems. Not intentional for sure! Tanya is lending some advise to me as well and I hope to have a handle on it soon.

I do have a problem with the coordinate system? I use National Geographic TOPO for my coordinates and the waypoints I give were downloaded from my Magellan Sport-trak Color. When I load them onto the Trail Coordinates and click on the map, it just isn't putting the location in the right place? Is there a certain datum that I should be using for the coordinates?

Thanks,
Bo

Scott

Scott - Dec 6, 2007 12:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Mountain and Rock?

I use National Geographic TOPO and the coords. just don't seem to jibe with the mapping being used on the website?

Change the 112 degrees to negative and it should work.

I can help a bit tomorrow morning since it's my day off but we're supposed to have a blizzard.

bobeck

bobeck - Dec 7, 2007 10:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mountain and Rock?

The reason I put it under "mountain and rock" was because it looks like that is the way the ZNP page is set up. I did start out with it as a route, but then there was no where to put it on the page. Am I reading the page wrong? I would like your suggestions Scott. Is there anything more I need to add or change to this?

Zion National Park
Mountains & Rocks
West Temple
Pine Valley Peak
North Guardian Angel
Mount Kinesava
Northgate Peaks
Lady Mountain
Great White Throne
Mountain of the Sun
Aires Butte
The Watchman
Observation Point
"Progeny Peak" UN 6275
Spearhead
Angels Landing
Ashtar Tower, 5.8-5.11
Weeping Rock, 5.7-5.11b
Cerberus Gendarme, 5.7-5.12
South Ariel Peak

cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 7, 2007 10:27 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Mountain and Rock?

Hey Bo,

I think the page is really starting to shape up nicely. What they were getting at was that the original page was written up as more of a route description than a "mountain and rock" description. Typically was is done is that a mountain page is put up, then a route page is connected to it as a "child".

I know that it takes time for folks new to the site to figure out the in's-and-out's...

CP

tanya

tanya - Dec 7, 2007 10:29 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Mountain and Rock?

How does it look now? Any suggestions to make it better? :)

Viewing: 1-20 of 36
12
Return to 'South Ariel Peak' main page