Viewing: 1-5 of 5
RyanS

RyanS - Aug 7, 2006 6:22 pm - Voted 10/10

The source

For the true HP of the Laramie Mtns. is none other than Bob Martin. He confirmed this with a hand-level. Nice write-up!

I'm curious about your comment that 10,884' is the more prominent peak. Is this true as viewed from a particular perspective?

joegrim

joegrim - Aug 8, 2006 3:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The source

Thanks for your verification of the true HP of the Laramie Mountains! I will include this information in the write-up.

I haven't sat down and done the math to verify that the 10,884' peak is the most prominent, but it does stand out more than North Bald Mountain when viewed from the east (I have included in the write-up a link to a photo taken from the east), as well as when viewed from the summits of both South and Middle Bald Mountains. 10,884' peak also has a 'bald' top, unlike North Bald, making it stand out more.

RyanS

RyanS - Aug 8, 2006 4:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: The source

Hi Joe, that's what I thought you meant. In some ways it's a shame that "topographic prominence" shares a name with the idea of prominence as viewed from a particular location.

Don't worry about doing the math. It's all done for you on listsofjohn.com. Go to the members site, and you can see prominence information on every peak in Colorado, including 10,884.

joegrim

joegrim - Aug 8, 2006 9:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: The source

Thanks for the link, Ryan!

I checked on the list you gave and 10,884' peak's prominence is 304 feet (http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/COClimbers.php?Id=2490) while North Bald Mountain's prominence is 202 feet (http://www.listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/COClimbers.php?Id=2420). I guess my "eyeball" estimation was correct.

It was good to verify and now that I have this list bookmarked, I will be better able to make accurate statements on prominence in the future.

RyanS

RyanS - Aug 8, 2006 11:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: The source

And only now do I notice that you were comparing 10,884's prominence specifically to North Bald. Yup, you were right on the money in all regards! Glad you like John's site! He's put a lot of work into it.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'South Bald Mountain' main page