South Drainage from the East

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.03650°N / 118.39616°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

If you’re lucky enough to have made it to the Red Lake trailhead with your vehicle in one piece, be thankful! The actual trail begins about 100 yards to the north of where the trailhead sign is located. Park near the sign and walk to where the trail begins as there is no parking there.

The lower portion of the trail is a loose, sandy slog that slowly transforms into more hard packed dirt and rock. After the sandy sections, the trail passes through some overgrown jungle areas where it may be difficult to follow the trail. Look for ribbons tied to the trees in these areas. If it seems too overgrown even for this trail, or starts to go downhill, you are probably off route. There is one stream crossing here which is the only water until the small lake before Red Lake is reached.

Once past this small lake, the trail begins to disappear. However, just follow relatively close to the stream feeding the lake and you will soon arrive at Red Lake.






Route Description

From Red Lake, head northeast over an obvious bump a few hundred feet high to access the south drainage. Once on top of the bump, the south drainage will appear as a bowl. Follow the low-angle bowl/drainage due north over endless moraines and relatively solid locked-in talus boulders. You will finally see the obvious headwall that leads to the ridge that connects with the Sierra Crest to the west. Head for the lowest point on the ridge then turn right (east) to the summit which is now visible. The entire route above Red Lake is easy Class 2 and there should be no route finding issues whatsoever.







Essential Gear

No special gear is required for this climb.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.