South Eastern British Columbia

South Eastern British Columbia

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

The Canadian Side of the North Fork of the Flathead River Valley

These images were taken on a exploratory [for me that is] trip into the North Fork of the Flathead River drainage on 10-02 through 10-03 2010.

The south eastern corner of B.C. is heavily mined for coal, drilled for natural gas, and logged for the board/feet, yet it is a wonderfully wild and scenic area, with heavily glaciated limestone peaks that rival Glacier and Waterton International Peace Parks for beautiful vistas. The North Fork of the Flathead River is a classically braided glacially formed river bed that supports one of the last strong populations of bull trout in the lower 48, along with genetically pure West Slope cutthroat trout. This is powerful good grizzly country too!

Recently the governments of Montana and British Columbia reached a landmark arrangement that will see the lease holders of extensive coal deposits, and the holders of the natural gas leases in this drainage, forgo their development rights in lieu of millions in cash. This money is to be appropriated by the congress of the USA, with the main goal the preservation of the pristine waters of the North Fork of the Flathead River.

Unfortunately these moneys have gotten caught up in the toxic politics of the U.S. Senate, if after viewing these images you agree that this is not a good place for a huge coal mine, derricks, or clear cuts, write your Senators and encourage them to support the settlement agreement [Senate Bill, S. 3075.] that will preserve this essential wild area from further resource development.

Congratulations to the sportsmen of the Elk River Valley for supporting and forcing the preservation of these waters and this stunningly beautiful valley.
Congratulations to Governor Schweitzer for pushing this deal along through very tricky negotiations!
Congratulations also must go out to British Columbia Premier Gordon Campbell, for bucking the trend, and huge corporate pressure to see this agreement through!
I hope in the very near future to be able to offer Senators Baucus and Tester of MT congratulations, but they have to get this through the Senate first!
Enjoy these images, and visit the links, then Call Your Senators!
Click on the image for a description of the shot.

The Goods

Flathead Forest Service Road
North Fork of the Flathead
Adventure Subaru
Camp views of Mt. Haig
Late Evening Light
Silouhette
Pack Horse Peak
Looking Due East into Waterton Peace Park
Fall Colors
More Fall Colors
Windy Peak

External Links

Crown of the Continent commentary.

Article about the Agreement

Opinion article in praise of our elected officials.

Flathead Coalition home page, [this is an excellent resource site]

Comments

No comments posted yet.