South Face (Biadós-Collado de Señal)

South Face (Biadós-Collado de Señal)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.71050°N / 0.41050°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up for the most part of it. Scramble (grade I) in the summit ridge
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the spanish village of Plan, on the valley of the Cinqueta river. You can get there from the city of Huesca, driving through El Grado and Aínsa (see main page of Bachimala). From the village, you have to get a final road (3 km) to San Juan de Plan and after that a 10 km dirt road (not a good one) northwards to the Biadós Hut. There is only one forking of the dirt road, take the right side arm to Biadós or the left side one to enter the valley of Cinqueta de la Pez and reach the unguarded Tabernes Hut.

A note for big vehicles: If you are driving to Biadós with a big car, a van or a 4-wheel drive (such as a Land Rover or similar) remember that the first two kilometers of the dirt road (after leaving San Juan de Plan) are specially narrow and only allow one vehicle at a time. You might find yourself in trouble and needing to drive backwards if you find someone coming the other way.

Route Description

Sketch of the route. See the...

Start walking from Biadós Hut. Climb north through grassy slopes to enter the Barranco of Biadós, which you will have to climb on its left (western side). It's all a grassy slopes terrain that will lead you up to the Collado de Señal (in some maps it can be designed as "Señal de Biadós), at about 2500 meters (will check the exact height). From this point on you have to climb a scree slope on the northwestern side of the Col and follow the path along the southwest face of Bachimala.
The next obstacle is another rocky barrier, surmounted by the path after a little bit of a winding.
BAchimala
When you cross it, you will find yourself in a huge slope climbing to your right. No difficulties from this point on to the false summit, just upwards walking to the edge of the three thousand meters.
Final ridge
There you will find a short ridge composed of big rocks: a final five minutes of scrambling without real danger. Nevertheless, some sensible souls might find this a little bit impressive. In this case, securing them with a rope is a good idea. The top of a three-thousander awaits afterwards.

Essential Gear

No need for special equipment. Might be useful to have a rope and climbing harnesses to secure sensible climbing partners in the summit ridge. Walking poles will take stress off your knees on the way down, if you have them.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

BachimalaRoutes