South Face of 13660B

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.09340°N / 106.5123°W
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 48 degree snow and 200 cm wide
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The South Face of UN 13,660B (Brumley Peak) is a great ski descent. Combine it with a descent of the E Face of UN 13823 (Lackawanna Peak), for a fantastic advanced to expert ski tour. Finish off the day with a descent down one of the monster 3000 ft. paths, Everett D or Everett B if stability is still good.
This tour should only be attempted with stable snow conditions, and due to the nature of high elevation ridgetops, stability needs to be evaluated constantly.

Getting There

The South Face of UN 13,660B aka (Brumley Peak) can be accessed from HWY 82. Skin up the SW facing gully from the winter gate, known as the Gate avalanche path. Or you can climb directly up and over UN 13823 (Lackawanna Peak) from one of two 3000 ft. long S facing avalanche paths known as Everett D and Everett B, from west to east respectively.

Route Description

The main line that stands out through the south face is one that I've dubbed "Fat Cat With a Little Throat" referring to the monster cornice that was built up when I snowboarded it, and the narrow 200 cm wide choke in the couloir. If this is not filled in, makes you sick when you look down it, or the cornice is not supported to your liking, consider a mellower descent through broken cliffs further to the east, or lookers right.

Essential Gear

Beacon Shovel Probe, Ice Axe, Crampons, Helmet

External Links

http://avalanche.state.co.us/
http://www.fireweather.info/
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Colorado/colorado.html
http://www.wildsnow.com/

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.