South Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.36822°N / 111.3658°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The route from the baseThis is the route from the base of Gallatin Peak
Follow the directions on the main page from North Fork Trail head via Bear Basin, over the pass into the top of Hell Roarin'. You also can make the long haul up Hell Roarin'. On the south face of Gallatin Peak there is a rib, not the west side, but on the south face. to the right of the rib is a strip of trees, then a chute and another more prominant strip of trees. You want to climb up between the two strips of trees.

Getting There

Add Getting There text here.

Route Description

At first this route is very loose rock and dirt and a tad steep. climb up, finding the best way between the trees or in the chute. When you get past the trees you are about half way up and the footing gets better. Right at the top is a bit of rock, just scramble up through this over a couple small humps and find the metal boxed register at the summit. One of the best views from up here, you of course can see Lone Mountain but a great view of Sphinx and the Helmut. This trip is about 5,200' vertical (counting the decent into Hell Roarin') and took me 10 1/4 hours RT as follows: TH - 7:15am, Pass - 10:30, Base of Climb - Noon, Summit - 1:15, Pass - 3pm, Out - 5:30pm. I think by cutting a few corners, you might be able to speed this up.

Essential Gear

Nothing out of the ordinary......Good footwear. Depends on conditions.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.