South Ridge (Independence Lakes)

South Ridge (Independence Lakes)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.19750°N / 113.6745°W
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Snow Climb (early season)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 - 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions to the Independence Lakes trailhead listed on the main page for Mount Independence.

Route Description


From the trailhead, the trail follows an old road east then south east for about two miles. You will gain only about 200 feet on this section (7800' to 8000') as you traverse below the northeast slopes of Mt. Independence. The trail then turns sharply west (right) toward the lowest of the Independence Lakes and climbs for about 800 feet. Follow the trail on the left (west) banks of the lower two lakes. Above the large second lake (9041'), cross the drainage of the third lake to the right bank (east side). At this point you are above timber and the Cache-Independence (Mount Independence is on the right; Cache on the left) Col is visible directly ahead. Climb either directly to the Col's low point or navigate inbetween the steep rock outcroppings aiming for the ridgetop to the right of the Col. Once at the col or on the ridge to the right of it, keep traversing the ridge to the right (northeast) until the highpoint is attained on a spacious, rolling summit.

Descend by either retracing your steps back down to the Independence Lakes or continue on the ridge northeast from the summit until the terrain to your right eases in steepness to where you can comfortably scramble down (scree) toward the lower Independence Lakes (obviously this route can also be taken on the way up).

Essential Gear


Early season may require ice ax and crampons. Late season, a pair of hiking boots and hiking poles would be choice equipment.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.