South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.01400°N / 106.863°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike or Basic Snow
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Use Castle Creek TH or Conundrum Creek TH.

Route Description


The South Ridge from the Castle/Conundrum Saddle is the usual summer option and can also be done during snow season. The saddle into the basin is a speedy glissade!

Ascend to the Castle/Conundrum saddle. Those approaching from the Conundrum Creek TH pass mediocre Conundrum Hot Springs along the way. Fron the saddle it is a very short climb to the summit.

If you are there after the snow has melted expect steep scree on both sides of the saddle. Really this is only fun as a snow climb.

If you are looking for a better snow climb, try the Conundrum Couloir.

Descend your ascent route. Lots of good glissading. Glissading directly from the saddle has a person rocketing pretty fast. The run out is great.

Essential Gear


Standard hiking gear outside of snow season. Ice ax and crampons when the saddle is snow covered.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.