South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.01130°N / 106.4535°W
Additional Information Route Type: Steep Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach




Mount Blaurock-RT-3.6 miles & 3,100 ft.
Extra Credit- a loop route including UN13,686. RT-6 miles & 3,727-ft.


South Ridge Route

Starting at the unnamed TH at 10,618-ft, locate Grey Copper Creek Drainage on the right and the larger Blackbear Creek Drainage on the left. Blaurock’s south ridge splits the two drainages. The south ridge will ascend to Blaurock’s south east ridge. Refer to TOPO.

Route Description


After locating the south ridge, begin ascending a steep but easy tree covered slope that will turn into a real ridge at about 12,000-ft, where tree line resides. Continue on the ridge crest and follow the broad, grassy ridge to about 12,800-ft where the ridge will become even more defined. The hiking here is steep class 2+, with minimal exposure on semi stable talus. From here you can easily preview any route over to UN13,686. Continue to Blaurock’s southeast ridge, which is same ridge that continues over to Ervin Peak and eventually to Mount Hope.

On Blaurock’s southeast ridge at 13,450-ft, hike northwest towards the summit. The ridge to the summit has a few spots where it becomes narrow and there is some minor exposure. In early spring there is a spot where the skinny ridge presents a snow cornice that you must negotiate by hiking over it. It may be a bit nerve wracking for those with out crampons or an axe. The true summit of Mount Blaurock has a summit register. This mountain is climbed maybe 10 times a year.

The view from Blaurock to UN13,686 shows you everything you need to know about the mile hike in between the two. Descend Blaurock to a very broad and grassy ridge. Continue easy hiking to the summit of UN13,686. The view of La Plata’s south face and Sayres Benchmark couldn’t be better.

From the summit of UN13,686 descent an easy talus ridge directly south about .3 mile where the ridge splits into two ridges. Take the easier looking ridge to the right. In spring, this ridge is completely snow free because of its westerly aspect. Descent the ridge to about 12,130-ft where you can locate a mining area to the east in the drainage in-between the two south ridges (refer to TOPO.) Locating this mine is key, there is an old mining road that will escort you all the way back home. When you find the road, get there and never leave it. This road descends all the way back down to the Winfield Trailhead for La Plata Peak. The hike back to your car from this TH is obvious and short via the Winfield Road.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
johnmcys

johnmcys - Aug 5, 2005 6:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

The mine at 12,130 ft. that Kane states is the key to the descent from UN13,686 in his route description is the Tasmania Mine. It was one of the better mines in the Winfield District, having produced a good quanity of
silver and copper ore in the early 1900's. Becaause it is a key point I have added a general photo of the area showing the Tasmania Mine from which climbers can orient themselves before the climb. Near the bottom of the first switchback from the top if you look uphill you can see what is left of the mine's boarding house and office of which I have also added a photo. Also the Tasmania Mine is on private property.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.