South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.33920°N / 106.0047°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This enjoyable hike provides a nice alternate to the routes from CO 9 on a scenic, gentle ridge.

Difficulty: Trail and off-trail hiking
Overall Distance: 9 Miles round trip
Elevation Gain: Appx. 3400'

Getting There

Driving directions begin from the intersection of 4th Street and CO 9 on the northern end of the town of Fairplay. Turn east on 4th Street to Beaver Creek Lane and turn left (north). Pass the Fairplay Nordic Center on your left and continue to the junction with FS 413 after approximately 2 miles. Turn right onto FS 413 and pass the winter closure gate after 1/4 mile. Continue past this gate on FS 659 for 2 additional miles to the junction with FS 184. This is the trailhead, and is at 10,740'.

Route Description

Hike along FS 184 for a mile to 11,180'. This was formerly a 4WD road however, it has been permanently closed to vehicles. Leave the road at an unmarked pullout on the left side of the road with a road closed sign. If the FS 184 road starts to descend in elevation, you have gone too far.

From the road closed sign, hike the abandoned road through the forest. The road will merge softly with another abandoned road, the route continues uphill on this second road, this image shows the general character of the first part of the hike. Note the location of this road split for your descent, you will need to descend along the road that forks RIGHT.

Follow the road to 12,000', where the road will start to contour east. Leave the road at this point and continue north on the gentle grassy ridge to PT 12,282. The remaining route is visible from here and ascends tundra and talus. The ridge becomes more defined as it approaches PT 13,004. Climb north on talus from PT 13,004 for approximately 1 mile directly to the summit. This image shows the majority of the route from above.

Essential Gear

Standard hiking gear and the 10 essentials are all that is needed. Late fall you may encounter some snow. The route photos were taken in October.

Winter adds over 2 miles each way to this route due to road closures, the shorter route in winter is from the west (Beaver Ridge, or Hoosier Pass), however the South Ridge is generally avalanche safe route that is frequently wind scoured above treeline and can be a nice gentle outing if you don't mind the extra miles.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Route Map

Annotated map of this route is below

 

South Ridge Route Map

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
SanJuanExplorer

SanJuanExplorer - Jul 2, 2023 6:11 pm - Hasn't voted

FS184 (4x4 road) now permanently closed to vehicles

Delete “or drive” on route description. FS184 is now a Hike/horse only trail. New permanent Closure prevents driving.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Jul 3, 2023 6:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: FS184 (4x4 road) now permanently closed to vehicles

Thanks! Updated. Hope you enjoyed your hike!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.