South Tent Mountain (UT) Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Mar 5, 2006 4:32 am - Voted 10/10

SW Slope

Kelsey's Utah Mountaneering book recommends SW slope ascent and that's the route I tried, it's significantly shorter distance than traverse from N Tent, but steeper. Maybe just a mention of Kelsey's book would be good.

Also re: access from Eastern side, it'd be good to mention that Bacon Rind Road (which sometimes comes in computer-generated directions) is in bad shape & not a reasonable way to gain the ridge. Better to use the road from the reservoir to the South.

Dean

Dean - Mar 5, 2006 4:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: SW Slope

Our original intent was to do the Kelsey route (also the High in Utah route) but snow and mud stopped us from being able to get to the road on the south side forcing us to do the traverse. Under the comments, I was answering nebben on why we did the Spring City approach and you might find that interesting. If someone trys the Bacon Rind road, I hope they'll post it to this page. BTW, do you have any pics you could add to the page, especially from the south approach? Thanks for your comments. Utah is a great state, so varied.

The Kelsey book is now linked in.

Dartmouth Hiker

Dartmouth Hiker - Sep 2, 2013 6:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Southern approach

At this time, the road up Ephraim Canyon from the west is in excellent condition--wide, well-graded, and no trouble for any street-legal vehicle. Reaching the plateau from the east, once pavement ends, is a much rougher road, with some areas of mud; it's possible, but more nerve-wracking to get a passenger car up this side.

In a car, even with a few muddy areas, it's possible to continue on Skyline Drive to within a mile or so of the area below the saddle between N and S Tent, but some care must be taken due to rutting, potholes, and mud.

DarrenKnezek

DarrenKnezek - Sep 3, 2015 12:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Couldn't find this mtn in search

I couldn't find this peak using the search feature. Would it have something to do with all the abbreviations?

Dean

Dean - Sep 3, 2015 2:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Couldn't find this mtn in search

It most likely was. I've eliminated the abbreviations so just to make sure, try it now just to see. Thanks for bring that to my attention.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'South Tent Mountain (UT)' main page