South trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.74000°N / 123.94°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike with easy scramble option near the summit
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

See main page for getting there instructions.

Route Description

This is looking up at the spot where you turn the corner and downclimb if you take the road route on the south side trail
The trail starts off at approximately 760 feet above sea level, gaining elevation steadily up a series of switchbacks with minimal views, but a cool forest with Sitka Spruce among the trees. Just over a mile in, an old road crosses the path in a section where the trail levels off. I have heard you can take that road to the left and get to the summit, however, I have never done that so I can't say for sure. The trail continues across the road heading north and then west, and heads up another series of switchbacks until you are at one that heads west with a clearing in sight. At this spot there is a use trail on the right side that is the easiest way to the summit rocks. If you miss that (which I did the first time I hiked this) there is another use trail that is more obvious in the clearing that is just S of the summit. This way will require an easy scramble up the grassy hillside to the summit. Slippery when wet of course, so be careful.
Total time for this hike is anywhere from an hour to 2 hours. 3 miles round trip, with 930 feet of elevation gain.

Edit: I went back and took that road that intersects the trail. The road lasts about a quarter mile and ends at some communications buildings. There is a overgrown use trail from there that goes to a cool ridgewalk with great views, but it leads to a very narrow spot where you have to round a corner with overgrown foliage on one side and 50+ feet of exposure on the other. After that it becomes a class 2-3 downclimb on usually wet rock. I wouldn't recommend it, it actually takes longer than the trail.

Essential gear

Water, shoes or hiking boots with good traction. Rain gear is a good idea.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.