Southeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.39200°N / 116.611°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up (class 2)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From highway 190, head east/northeast cross-country for 3-4 miles or so over easy desert terrain to the obvious low point between Pyramid Peak and the desolate lower mountain to the south. This low point will place you in the vicinity of Pyramid’s long and steep southeast ridge.

Route-find your way onto the lower portion of the southeast ridge – it’s not a difficult endeavor.

Great desert scenery can be expected up to this point (and all the way to the summit, for that matter).

Route Description


Once on the southeast ridge, follow it steeply northwest all the way to the summit. The views along the ridge are extreme – great stuff!

Other than lots and lots of loose scree and talus, expect no real difficulties.

Near the top of the ridge, the route steepens, and then gets craggy. Wind in and around the crags as you see fit, following the occasional use trail found here and there (though mostly on the west side of the craggy portion of the upper ridge). Of course, to spice the route up a tad, you can certainly follow the crest of the ridge along the crags, but that options appears to offer more in the way of tediousness than pleasure.

To descend, retrace your steps. Route-finding this baby is a breeze.

Take your time and enjoy the sh*t out of this fine desert peak.

Essential Gear


Water, sturdy shoes with ankle support (lots and lots of scree and talus), sunscreen.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.