Southwest Ridge (Silver Creek)

Southwest Ridge (Silver Creek)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.94710°N / 107.3976°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Begin at the Silver Creek-Grizzly Gulch Trailhead. This popular trailhead also accesses the fourteeners in the area (Redcloud, Sunshine and Handies) and has toilet facilities and camping spots. Hike northeast along the Silver Creek Trail. The trail is easy to follow through the forest, and as it wraps around Redcloud above treeline. There are several switchbacks that take you to the approximately 13,020' saddle with Redlcloud, where the route begins (see route photo below).

Route Description

From the saddle with Redcloud, leave the trail and head northeast (left) following a climber's trail along the gentle ridge. Leave the ridge before reaching steeper terrain (cairned), and countour below a false summit on sections of climbers trail. A few sections can be a little loose in this area. Reach a notch in the ridge below PT 13,832's west ridge, and traverse below the ridge crest on climbers trail, again taking care on loose rock. From here you will pick up a more defined trail through the tundra grasses (see photo) that leads to below the summit. Leave the trail and climb easy class 2 terrain to the summit. You can also continue on to PT 13,811 from here, which is just under a mile and a half away.

From Silver Creek to PT 13,832:
Round Trip 9 1/2 Miles with appx 3400' elevation gain

Essential Gear

Standard hiking gear is sufficient in good weather. Be aware of afternoon thunderstorms in the area.

For winter ascents consider the Williams Creek route as the road to Grizzly Gulch is not open in winter.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Route Map

Topographic Map with Annotations for this route

Silver Creek Route Map




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.