Southwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 60.95628°N / 149.05804°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

For people with a little extra time, the southwest ridge offers a great alternative to the regular northwest ridge route up Mt. Alyeska. The scrambling on the southwest ridge is harder and more exposed, but has a lot less loose rock.

Approach

View from Southwest RidgeThe eastward view on the way up the southwest ridge

The most pleasant and aesthetic way to approach the southwest ridge is to come over the top of Max's Mountain, an approach route that is fully described on the Max's Mountain page. There's not much wasted effort on this approach, because the elevation loss between the summit of Max's and the Max's-Alyeska col is pretty minimal. The crest between Max's and the final, scrambly portion of the southwest ridge is a delightful ridge walk with gorgeous views, as shown at right.

You can also get on the southwest ridge by scrambling the steep but nontechnical ridge the ski area calls the "center ridge" (also shown here). It joins the southwest ridge just before the fourth class section. You would get to the center ridge by hiking the North Face Trail or taking the $25 summer tram ride to the top of the north face, and then descending into the bowl below Alyeska Glacier.

Route Description


From the col between Max's Mountain and Mount Alyeska, there is about 1000 feet of ascent along the southwest ridge to Alyeska's summit. Walking and easy scrambling get you most of the way to the goal, but there is a horizontal, knife-edged section just before the summit cone that is fourth class and requires care.



SW Ridge
Southwest ridge as seen from the summit, October
Ridge
The fourth class portion of the ridge

Essential Gear


No special gear is essential in summer conditions for confident scramblers. However, there is a short traversing section of this route with serious exposure. Unlike many scrambles on friable Chugach rock, the rock on this section is solid enough that it offers some reliable horns to sling, and you could easily belay this pitch so that less confident people could negotiate it in comfort.

Reward




A view eastward from the top of Mt. Alyeska




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.